Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
I would not do the plastidip on anything. We see it on a lot of automotive parts, grilles, wheels etc... and it has not held up well at all. The very design of the product is that it can be peeled off. Obviously not a good thing in our application.

I saw the poor reviews on the Black Jack for it's intended purpose but there are many on the forum that have used it on coop floors with great results. There is a thread that several people have posted in and then followed up even a couple of years later still giving it a good review. It appears to me that the Black Jack is the best and most cost effective option for our purposes. At $47.00 for 5 gallons it is pretty cost effective. I didn't feel like there was any reason to spend any more. If you are doing the different coating on your roof anyway and have left overs then it would be worth a try.

Here's the link to that thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/760028/need-advice-on-using-a-covering-for-plywood-floor-of-coop

Oh yeah, I had read about it being great for coop floors. But was not aware of its poor reviews for its intended purposes. That's interesting because the biggest thing that deterred me from using it was I don't want my coop to look too dark on the interior. I like it bright and airy looking. Its probably silly but I like the idea of keeping everything light. Plus with white, its easier to see the spots that need more cleaning than others. That being said if the blackjack57 has poor roofing reviews but still works, it makes me wonder if the white elastomateric would be similar. It's similar in cost as bj57. Not nearly as expensive as the silicone.

Plastidip is a fantastic product when not used for its intended uses in many cases haha. I design props for photoshoots and media use as well as design jewelry and clothing. You'd be surprised at all the interesting things you can create when using things in a way they were not meant for. I once used expanding spray foam and chicken wire to create giant ice cream scoops the size of my toddler.
263a.png

ETA- meant to say the plastidip made for a great faux marshmallow sauce topping.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh yeah, I had read about it being great for coop floors. But was not aware of its poor reviews for its intended purposes. That's interesting because the biggest thing that deterred me from using it was I don't want my coop to look too dark on the interior. I like it bright and airy looking. Its probably silly but I like the idea of keeping everything light. Plus with white, its easier to see the spots that need more cleaning than others. That being said if the blackjack57 has poor roofing reviews but still works, it makes me wonder if the white elastomateric would be similar. It's similar in cost as bj57. Not nearly as expensive as the silicone.
That was my thinking too. I really want everything white inside my coop. There was one person on that thread who used the Henry Solar Flex White Roof Coating on her floor. I checked her content to see if she said anything more about it, but she hadn't. So I sent her a PM. If I hear anything back from her, I will share it with you. The Henry is pretty expensive, $70 for 4.75 gallons. It looks like they have one gallon for $24. (Home Depot)

That was my thinking too. I really want everything white inside my coop. There was one person on that thread who used the Henry Solar Flex White Roof Coating on her floor. I checked her content to see if she said anything more about it, but she hadn't. So I sent her a PM. If I hear anything back from her, I will share it with you. The Henry is pretty expensive, $70 for 4.75 gallons. It looks like they have one gallon for $24. (Home Depot)

I would have preferred to use something that wasn't black but we are planning the deep bedding method in the coop anyway so no matter what is on the floor it will not be seen with several inches of wood shavings on it. I'm interested to see more information and experiences with the white roof coatings. Even though if it works out well it will just make me want to put the white over the black.
th.gif

Trust me I get it. I'm the guy that bought white stripe tape to simulate divided lights on the coop windows so they would match the others on the property. lol...   :lau

I inadvertently picked colors for the exterior of my coop that happen to match my cookware haha. So I guess when I cook eggs, the environment where the egg came from and the environment they are going to will match haha...

Back
Top Bottom