Chic found newly hatched and cold

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
Mum hen was sitting on 3 eggs. Luckily I went to check on her tonight, just by chance, and I found 1 chick already hatched, cold, and no where near mum. The other 2 eggs were cold and scattered about also. Mum is sitting on a half shell and is very protective of it.
th.gif
Well so much for that, mum!

I put the chick in the incubator and she seems to be doing a little better. I think she was near death when I found her. Cold and when I first put her in the incubator she was gasping. She had some blood on her but I really didnt check too much because I wanted her to warm up. The egg shell looked clean so I guess she hatched ok. I wonder if there is anything I can do for her. And if the other eggs have a chance of hatching.

Can you put the chick in a warm, dark place for now? It's probably exhausted. Perhaps you can use a small aquarium lined with paper towels. Crumple up a lot of tissues and make it nice and comfortable. Then place a heating pad underneath half of the tank, set to the lowest setting. If you can, try to find a stuffed animal, perhaps a bird, to put in there to keep it company.

Since it just hatched, it might not want to eat. In the morning, you can try to feed it a mix of layer mash, warm water and cooked egg yolk mixed to the consistency of oatmeal. Use the back of a teaspoonto present the food to the bird and wobble the spoon a little bit. Check to make sure that it's crop is full and then use a warm paper towel to stimulate the chick to go to the bathroom.

The most important thing is to let the bird warm up before trying to feed it anything. Don't be surprised if you have to present food a number of times before it works.

Suzy

Thanks I went back in there and she was soaking wet from the incubator so I cut off a plastic milk carton, couldnt find anything else, and have a towel in there and a light on it and a towel covering the top. So far she seems comfortable. I guess I better stay up to make sure the temp is ok. And this is my first silkie chic from my own birds. I had it marked as a cochin egg. OOPS
big_smile.png
Awe well she is silkie all the way.

Chic is doing great! Eating drinking all dried out. The 2 eggs are just laying there not doing anything, Hmm. Momma hen is still broody on nothing. Dumb cluck, I guess I wont count on her for hatching eggs any more. Poor thing.

Last edited:
Just saw the thread, sorry about the baby, I am really hoping she and the other eggs pull thru for you. Our thoughts are with you!

Back
Top Bottom