Chic starter ?

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Being the economic times that they are(and the miser I am)and high prices of feed what is every ones take on mixing "chic starter" and "layer crumbles" ? Here's the rest of the story. We have a 4 bird 2 year old flock a 4 bird 18 month ish flock and 3 bird that will be 16 weeks on January 6th. The deal is I purchased a second 50 pound bag of chic starter at about 12 weeks and the BABIES demand to be in the run with the BIG GIRLS so I have 35-40 pounds of feed left ....give it to all the girls...what happens to egg 🥚 production in the big girls if they eat chic starter?

Egg production can get better with chick feed, since it has better protein levels. Layer feed has the bare minimum of the protein they need and eggs are mostly protein so they need extra to maintain their bodies and egg production. You can mix the feeds or just feed chick feed with oyster or egg shell on the side. I feed chick feed often since it's occasionally cheaper.

I used to feed by stage/age ... It's been several years now I just feed FR/Flock Raiser from start to finish. I do have a separate dish for Oyster Shells when the pullets start laying. Never had issues with egg shells nor laying. FR saves on storage space and unfinished feed. I also ferment so the "dust" get used up/no feed waste and I "enjoy" the other benefits plus they look healthier

Back
Top Bottom