1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick acceptance?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdavis228, May 18, 2011.

1. kdavis228

kdavis228 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    mississippi
    I've got 5 2 month old auraconas and am getting 25 chicks Tuesday, will the older birds accept and what's the best way to introduce one another?

2. Enslaved-by-Ducks

Enslaved-by-Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    You need to quarentine the chicks from the flock for 30 days regardless before you put them all in the same coop. Then, the chicks will be old enough to integrate them. I would keep an eye on them once this is done but there will be some fighting since the baby chicks need to go through the pecking orded ahead of them. This is normal so don't be alarmed.

I kept my new chicks seperate until they were about 7 weeks old. Then introduced them slowly. If you have a seperate area where the chicks can be housed right next to the Auracanas. then they can see eachother everyday and this will be just like having them all in the same coop...It makes the transition so much easier.....trust me..[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by