Chick adventure!

SimplyForties

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Carroll County, Va
I've been putting my 3 week old chicks out in this enclosure every day for the entire day -

30340_img_2603.jpg

It's basically a 4' x 8' portable run made of 2" x 2" lumber and chicken wire, topped with a blue tarp, sitting in a raised bed frame.

I spent the whole afternoon today working in the next town over, above 30 miles away. As I was rolling back into my town I was talking on the phone with a friend of mine and she was relating the tremendous storm we'd had. I was stunned by what I was seeing as I drove through town. One business I passed had its roof blown off!

When I got to my house and went out into the yard I was sure I'd be greeted by the sight of nine dead baby chicks and was feeling pretty down. I got out there, stooped down and what did I see but nine happy, peeping, DRY chicks busily scratching in the wet ground! There's a high perch in this enclosure and a large branch (not in the pic) that sticks up almost to the top. I think they must have gotten up high and been completely protected by the tarp! Good, smart chickies!

I was so relieved!! I gathered them all up and brought them in. I don't think they were happy to be rounded up but it started raining again and has been raining ever since. What a day!

Smart little chicks! Sounds like they had an adventure filled day. Pretty cute that they still didn't want to go back in.
smile.png

They're in their big brooder now and letting me know in no uncertain terms that they are not babies and are TOO GROWN UP to be in the brooder any more!!

Considering what could have happened, I'm happy to listen to their indignation!

Back
Top Bottom