chick and duckling brooder issues

ellijaychickens

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
ellijay ga
I have 30 chicks and 2 ducks in my brooder and the 2 ducks destroy it. So I'm trying to figure out where to put ducks. What is cheapest and easiest bedding I can use for the ducklings? And what can I use for feeder and waterer for ducks that would just be laying around my house? I won't be able to go buy separate waterer and feeder for ducks for a few days. There about 3 weeks old. I need advice please!!

Shredded newspaper in a rubber tote is great for only a few ducks! We used to give the ducks a big glass or ceramic pan that they can swim in and drink out of. You have to clean it out a few times a day but the ducks are always happy. For a feeder just use a shallow dish. There is a lot of mess and waste with ducks unless you specifically build feeders, waterers, and brooders that cater to their needs. We like to put our baby ducklings outside in a secure pen at 3 weeks old with a heat lamp so that they can make their mess on the ground instead of in a brooder that I have to clean out. Good luck, ducklings can be fun I swear
smile.png

Thank you. And I only have 1 heat lamp at the moment but my ducks don't seem to like the heat from it. I never see them get anywhere near it like the chicks do. Is there another way to heat the ducklings? What temp should they be at? Even in the brooder with chicks it rarely gets over 80 degrees. And it hasn't been getting below 65 at night anyways

You can put a regular 60 watt bulb over them and watch their behavior to see if they like the temp. I've always kept my ducklings a little cooler than the chicks, but if you do let them swim they need more heat to dry off in.

Back
Top Bottom