Chick attacked! big cut with scull exposed! help!

Hey,
I just had an injury that was almost exactly the same in one of my young pullets. Big, gaping wound. I cleaned it as best I could, put antibiotic cream on it and isolated her, but with the wound covered infection flared and she nearly died. Mind you her wound was a few days old and a bit dirty still, but still be careful when you cover it. Change the coverings frequently. Clean the wound VERY WELL. The other chickens will peck at it, so make sure it is covered, as others have mentioned. Too long away from her mother is bad for her, so make sure you check it frequently. The wound will heal; my girl has been injured for a month now, and the area of exposed skull is smaller than a Q-tip. Chicks will heal faster, I think, especially if the wound is fresh. And they are very tough. Just clean it daily and if you see any sign of infection - pus, inflammation, swelling, or dead tissue under the skin of the wound - get help. If you clean it well it should be okay.
I hope she's alright! Fingers crossed.

Hey,
I just had an injury that was almost exactly the same in one of my young pullets. Big, gaping wound. I cleaned it as best I could, put antibiotic cream on it and isolated her, but with the wound covered infection flared and she nearly died. Mind you her wound was a few days old and a bit dirty still, but still be careful when you cover it. Change the coverings frequently. Clean the wound VERY WELL. The other chickens will peck at it, so make sure it is covered, as others have mentioned. Too long away from her mother is bad for her, so make sure you check it frequently. The wound will heal; my girl has been injured for a month now, and the area of exposed skull is smaller than a Q-tip. Chicks will heal faster, I think, especially if the wound is fresh. And they are very tough. Just clean it daily and if you see any sign of infection - pus, inflammation, swelling, or dead tissue under the skin of the wound - get help. If you clean it well it should be okay.
I hope she's alright! Fingers crossed.
wow this helps heaps, yea, if you pull it down slightly then it will expose the neck tendons, thats where im worried.
covered with normal round plaster so is covering area though not exposing it to others, and allowing air to come through, using iodine liquid antiseptic watered down, hope it works....
does the trick for sexing rirs work by looking for a brown streak on neck indicating female?
thankyou!

thankyou!! how does it work?
How are Liquid Bandages applied?

Image Credit:
pubs.acs.org​
liquid.jpg
A liquid or semi-liquid material that is applied to a bleeding wound in order to heal it is called a Liquid bandage. Liquid bandages are a different option to the traditional bandages. Liquid bandages are used when the traditional bandages are not effective in treating a wound. A liquid bandage is a colorless adherent material that can be sprayed or painted directly on a wound. If the wound is big for a bandage to envelope, one can prefer to use a special tape-less and gauze-less liquid bandage. Liquid Bandage dries rapidly to form a tough protective cover that is antiseptic, flexible, waterproof, and lets the skin breathe. Even though traditional bandages, stitches, and staples are not outdated, many health careproviders, customers, and even the military are turning to liquid bandages to heal the injuries ranging from minor to major wounds

wow this helps heaps, yea, if you pull it down slightly then it will expose the neck tendons, thats where im worried.
covered with normal round plaster so is covering area though not exposing it to others, and allowing air to come through, using iodine liquid antiseptic watered down, hope it works....
does the trick for sexing rirs work by looking for a brown streak on neck indicating female?
thankyou!
It sounds like you're doing great. Just keep cleaning it and keep an eye on her. Keep us posted! I wouldn't worry overly much yet unless she seems to be less vigorous or if the wound grows infected. Chickens are incredibly hardy when it comes to injuries.
I've read that the sexing trick for RIRs is about 80-85% effective? I don't know because I haven't actually bred them myself yet.

Back
Top Bottom