chick bedding to use

ange

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
CORNING NY
I am thinking of using for chick bedding, wood shavings from hard wood, does that sound ok or would it be better if I bought at the pet store the pine wood shavings, they even have it in aromatic, what is best or somwething else?

I used pine shavings with a layer of paper towel over the top until mine were a week old (today). Until the chicks know what food is and isn't, it's best to keep some paper towel on top to prevent them from eating too much of the smaller shavings. Otherwise pine shavings is my prefered bedding.

Some wood shavings are very toxic, even fatal--especially for young chicks! I would NOT use cedar or other hardwoods even with adult chickens. If the pine is very aromatic it can cause a problem for chicks as well (its the oils in it). Paper towels over shavings is great for the first few days like Pet Duck Boy recommended
thumbsup.gif
. The safest after that is Aspen, with pine as a second choice. Since Aspen is not as easily to come by in some areas (like mine) so most use pine.

I haven't used anything but kiln-dried pine shavings for years now. They work great. Ground corn cobs work well too, but around here they're harder to find and more expensive.

.....Alan.

A.T. Hagan :

I haven't used anything but kiln-dried pine shavings for years now. They work great. Ground corn cobs work well too, but around here they're harder to find and more expensive.

.....Alan.

I can get mine for .60 a pound, or cheaper if I buy a 5pound bag.(small, I know.) I think the reason is that they intended it for hamster, etc.
smile.png
Oh, I'm talking corn cob bedding.​

My father in law has a cabinet shop and I have been cleaning up the sawdust and the planings to use he does alot of alder and oak and some hickory. So far we havent had any probs.

I used hay but my barn is full of it for the horses so it made sense. The chick just seem to love it. There are small seed heads that they work over and when that's all gone then they eat the peep feed. They are 3 weeks old... I know if your interested in hay that Coastal and other large feed supply stores offer hay in compressed bales that are half the size of a traditional bale as they air is sucked out to compress.

Back
Top Bottom