chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buckaroo's wife, Apr 14, 2011.

1. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    My chicks will be 4 weeks this weekend.....I have a few doing the "dance" - you know it....the chest bump, flapping wings dance......I'm thinking Roos? Please tell me they're just playing?!?

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    May they are roos playing.... But really, isn't that just the cutest thing [​IMG]

3. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    It is....except I don't need this many roos! [​IMG]

4. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I read that the top ranking pullet will do this with the rooster too until they hit "puberty." At this stage I wonder if they may also be working out the pecking order more aggressively too. I have 12 chicks that are almost 4 weeks old too and I'm pretty certain about my two roos. One I'm 100% certain of based on appearance and behavior. I've watched several of the pullets do "the dance" with him from time to time but especially the dominate SLW pullet. The Sussex I highly suspect to be the roo is more passive/docile than the SLW roo but I've caught him alerting the others to danger a time or two and them all hushing and hunkering down. It's pretty fun to watch. He also appears a slightly lighter shade of brown, is larger than the others, and is feathering out much slower.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are not just playing, they are working out the pecking order. That behavior does not mean pullet or rooster. It could be either. You can get that behavior if they are all pullets.

I'm not saying they are definitely not roosters. They can be. I'm usually not real good at determining sex at four weeks, but some people on this forum are pretty good. You might try posting pictures to get some guesses.

How to post pictures/avatar
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by