1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcbosco1, Jun 12, 2008.

1. tcbosco1

tcbosco1 Out Of The Brooder

I have some chicks who are about 2-1/2 weeks old. I brought them outside for a little fresh air and I noticed that one chick does not like it at all!

While the other chicks peck and scratch and walk around, this one stays in one place (will NOT move at all - for 20 minutes), pants, and poops a lot! I feel like I'm torturing this poor girl.

When they get back inside, under their "french fry" lamp, she perks right up.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. tcbosco1

I tried posting this, but nothing seems to happen. Please bear with me if I'm doing something wrong!

3. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Seems to me like she's freaked out by the new experience.

The brooder's small, warm, and smells familiar.

Outside? Breezes, sunshine, shadows, strange smells, horrible noises... it could stress anyone out if you're not used to it.

Maybe she's just not ready, or maybe she needs exposure to the outdoors in smaller doses.

Good luck!

4. tcbosco1

I guess so. I thought she might not like the feel of grass under her feet, so I gave her a large flat rock to stand on. She still just stood still.

Then I thought maybe she's afraid of the wide open space, so I put a bottomless box around her. She still just stood still!

Then I put her back in her own box, but she still didn't move.

Now I'm thinking it has something to do with sunlight. I did have her in the shade, but up until now, she's only known the red light in her brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to acclimate her to the great outdoors?

5. Welsummer

Welsummer Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Texas
    We had this experience with one of our girls the first time we put them outside too. Just like what you explained. We just kept putting her out when we put the other girls out for a little while and she gradually warmed up to the whole thing. Now you can't tell her from the rest. I guess these little girls are just more cautious than the rest [​IMG].

6. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
  7. tcbosco1

I'm glad to hear our little Chickie-boom-bahtz isn't the only chick with agoraphobia, and that it can be cured!

I had visions of having a house chicken! YIKES!

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yeah, just give it time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by