Chick Born Missing a Leg

Thank, guys! Between the encouragement here and the progress she's made, I'm feeling pretty optimistic right now (knock on wood). Una has learned to hop (it started out more as half-controlled falling, but it's gotten better). Standing is harder because it requires better balance, but the last couple days she's been standing occasionally for a few seconds at a time. She definitely loves to be held, both Una and Gloria (her sister/roommate) are very people-oriented. Gloria will chirp her head off for no reason at all unless someone comes over to the brooder. I've found that they really like being in a fanny pack padded with a soft washcloth. I guess it feels like they're tucked under their mom!

Awww that is so sweet, good luck with little Una and I hope she does good. She needs to build up her strength and balance and hopefully she will start getting around better.

I would like to announce that Una is doing well and has learned how to STAND!
ya.gif

She had learned to hop, but standing's been trickier because of the balance issue. But she's done it! In fact, in the last couple days she's even been standing a little bit when it's unnecessary, like when she's eating. I even saw her scratching her head with her stump while standing. Still mostly sitting down, but more and more standing and activity. She has been working so hard at it and getting so excited at herself and what she's learning to do and I am SO PROUD of her.

I finally managed to get a picture of her standing up. It's hard to tell, but she was very steady the whole time she was standing on my bed (they also had fun trying to dust bathe and peck flowers off my quilt). They're about the same size, Gloria only looks bigger because she was coming over to investigate my phone:

All their feathering is coming in well and Una is growing, eating etc. at the same rate as Gloria. She does rest more, but to be honest Gloria is one of the most restless chicks I've ever had, so no surprise there. I am just so amazed Una has adapted so well.
love.gif
Here she is again, trying to dust bathe on my quilt:

It's so incredible watching her hop around after worrying she'd never be able to move. She still has a lot of work to do before she's really mobile, but I'm confident now that she can get there.

I would like to announce that Una is doing well and has learned how to STAND!
ya.gif

She had learned to hop, but standing's been trickier because of the balance issue. But she's done it! In fact, in the last couple days she's even been standing a little bit when it's unnecessary, like when she's eating. I even saw her scratching her head with her stump while standing. Still mostly sitting down, but more and more standing and activity. She has been working so hard at it and getting so excited at herself and what she's learning to do and I am SO PROUD of her.

I finally managed to get a picture of her standing up. It's hard to tell, but she was very steady the whole time she was standing on my bed (they also had fun trying to dust bathe and peck flowers off my quilt). They're about the same size, Gloria only looks bigger because she was coming over to investigate my phone:

All their feathering is coming in well and Una is growing, eating etc. at the same rate as Gloria. She does rest more, but to be honest Gloria is one of the most restless chicks I've ever had, so no surprise there. I am just so amazed Una has adapted so well.
love.gif
Here she is again, trying to dust bathe on my quilt:

It's so incredible watching her hop around after worrying she'd never be able to move. She still has a lot of work to do before she's really mobile, but I'm confident now that she can get there.

Hooray! Go, Una, go!
yesss.gif

w00t, you can do it baby girl. Aww so happy she figured it out, it's good to see she is going well. Now she can start figuring out how to build up strength and really get around.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Una is doing AMAZINGLY well. She stands & hops around almost as well as Gloria. They enjoy going outside for field trips to scratch around in the grass and leaves. Una's stability, stamina and control have much improved and she no longer hops in circles, sits down all the time, or needs to lean on a wall/my leg. She can hop in a straight line, stands up all the time, and in fact, during her best stretches, someone watching from above might not even realize she's missing a leg!

Gloria and Una are two weeks old! Hooray!

awww, her story is so inspiring. When she is older and gets around longer you should take her to children's hospitals and tell her story to the kids to give them hope and know that they can do anything no matter how big it seems. It's so exciting to see this little girls journey. I'm so proud of her like she was my own chick. Keep it up Una, you are looking good little girl.

I'm so happy to see her adapting and doing so well! You have a very special little bird there who could be a great encouragement to others, both young and old alike, with disabilities. I think she needs her own Facebook page, share the sweetness with the world.
1f60a.png

Awe, she's adorable! It's amazing just how adaptable life is. With the right conditions and a little support there really isn't much that can't be overcome.

So happy you didn't cull little Una. She is so cute and coming along fine. Keep us posted, I love following her story.

Back
Top Bottom