Chick Born Missing a Leg

The chicks are doing great! Gloria looks to be a little roo, so we've changed the name to Geronimo. Una is becoming pretty confident in her movements.
img_3401.jpg

She's learned to perch on my hand.
img_3409.jpg

She can jump onto my lap herself.
img_3399-e1483725126452.jpg

The stump is doing OK, it's developing a callus on her "heel" where she pushes off the ground sometimes. I'll probably trim her nails soon, since she can't scratch to keep them down. (It's alright, Geronimo makes enough mess for both of them, lol.) Also something interesting I found when I was checking them for mites: they have tiny claws on their wings. Not just little bone spurs, I mean actual claws. Apparently this happens sometimes, I've just never had it in my flock. Huh!

Lastly, I have a video for you:
0.jpg

She does the same thin my legged chicken did when he got up and off of stuff. He flapped his little wings to move around sometimes or when he was running he would flap them for balance. YES, my one legged chicken could still run. Sort of half flew when he did it but I think he was better at using his wings than any other chicken I had. He would try to strut too like the other roo's and looked so cute trying. So happy for little Una she is really getting around now. Keep getting stronger and bigger Una. I bet she doesn't even realize she is different than anyone else. xD

Back
Top Bottom