Chick born with twisted (almost 180) leg... help?

Update...

Making an attempt to hobble around. I think the poor thing is doing its best to keep up with the others. I dont really see any hen pecking yet...

The little guys leg is showing itself to be deformed- the more it grows, the more evident the deformity is. Fingers crossed for adaptation, because otherwise we've got a totally "normal" baby 😒

Attachments

• 20220403_174337.jpg
    20220403_174337.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220403_174325.jpg
    20220403_174325.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 3
Update...

Making an attempt to hobble around. I think the poor thing is doing its best to keep up with the others. I dont really see any hen pecking yet...

The little guys leg is showing itself to be deformed- the more it grows, the more evident the deformity is. Fingers crossed for adaptation, because otherwise we've got a totally "normal" baby 😒
I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, the importance of hatching and leg/all around development. I, as a semi seasoned hatcher, have made the attempt many a time, to help a baby out of their shell. 99% of the time, they either die quickly anyway, or soon after. I was curious why this was, so I started to do some research.

What I found was that the act of kicking the shell off, along with the whole unzipping process, releases a series of chemicals in the brain that help finish development. If they miss or skip any part of that process, it can lead to the baby not fully developing in one way or another. The final kick out of the egg releases chemicals that help finish leg development, from what I read.

This could all be assumption but it could be fact. I wish I could find the article I read it all in, if I do ill make sure to post it.

I've pretty much learned that you can only help so much, no matter how hard it is to see them struggle, before you start causing more harm than good. Every step in the hatching process happens for good reason and us getting in the way of nature, can cause major deficiencies which can be impossible to overcome.

I'm crossing my fingers all goes well for this baby, but it truly just sounds to me like it wasn't meant to happen, unfortunately.

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, the importance of hatching and leg/all around development. I, as a semi seasoned hatcher, have made the attempt many a time, to help a baby out of their shell. 99% of the time, they either die quickly anyway, or soon after. I was curious why this was, so I started to do some research.

What I found was that the act of kicking the shell off, along with the whole unzipping process, releases a series of chemicals in the brain that help finish development. If they miss or skip any part of that process, it can lead to the baby not fully developing in one way or another. The final kick out of the egg releases chemicals that help finish leg development, from what I read.

This could all be assumption but it could be fact. I wish I could find the article I read it all in, if I do ill make sure to post it.

I've pretty much learned that you can only help so much, no matter how hard it is to see them struggle, before you start causing more harm than good. Every step in the hatching process happens for good reason and us getting in the way of nature, can cause major deficiencies which can be impossible to overcome.

I'm crossing my fingers all goes well for this baby, but it truly just sounds to me like it wasn't meant to happen, unfortunately.
Unfortunately, I feel like it's making itself more evident that this little thing isn't meant for an easy road.

I didnt have the heart to let it die in the shell, and wanted to give it a solid week. It's spirit is great- it eats, drinks and hobbles around to the best of its ability. I think you may be right though, I feel like this one didn't develop correctly.

I'm torn, because it doesn't act like its in pain or suffering, just stumbles around.

I feel like I'd be killing Quasimodo.

When it comes time I'll do the right thing, but for now I'm giving it the old wait and see therapy

Unfortunately, I feel like it's making itself more evident that this little thing isn't meant for an easy road.

I didnt have the heart to let it die in the shell, and wanted to give it a solid week. It's spirit is great- it eats, drinks and hobbles around to the best of its ability. I think you may be right though, I feel like this one didn't develop correctly.

I'm torn, because it doesn't act like its in pain or suffering, just stumbles around.

When it comes time I'll do the right thing, but for now I'm giving it the old wait and see therapy
Aww, I have a button quail with a displaced hip which gives it 1 splay leg as a result. I cannot figure out how to get the hip back in place and this wee bird spends a LOT of time with me so she's very tame and calls for me. Some say I should cull, but she is clearly not in pain and drags herself about with wings & good leg -- she's precious.
Now 7 weeks old and very tiny. I'm not killing her if she's not in pain!

I, and I'm sure EVERYONE in this forum, feels your pain. It really is a struggle to know what's right, but to have such a strong desire to help anyway, plus being torn between culling and giving it one more chance.

It's such a hard thing to do, but I'm positive you will do what's best, no matter the outcome!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I'm a brand new chicken momma- first ever batch and had 8 out of 9 eggs hatch, and 7 of 8 perfect babies.

But that one... pipped fine but couldn't seem to turn to unzip the shell. After HOURS of watching this poor baby try and try to hatch, I decided to help. It was starting to dry and I was concerned it'd get stuck. (And it was very sticky)

I had removed shell, but ended up having to moisten and peel back the membrane some also...

I left the chick to hatch what was left. And it was able to push the shell apart. But that was all. You could see immediately that one of its legs wasn't positioned correctly, but I left it to sort itself out after hatching. At about 12-18hrs post hatch it was very active and vocal, but made no attempts to stand it was dragging/flopping itself around with its one good leg.

I tried bracing for splay, but since the rotation is inward it really didn't help.

Today I went all out and built a chick chair and abduction brace.

I'm just not sure what to do or if I'm even helping at this point. It is taking hydro chick solution from a syringe and had a good poop, its otherwise acting healthy. We're now about 48 hrs post hatch.

Looking for pointers. Thank you all!
How is your chick doing? Ours hatched 3 days ago like this as well. It started strong hatching and very vocal. After 24 hours of trying, there wasn't much movement or chirping so I helped. Its legs seem crossed and when it tries to walk, it keeps stepping on one foot.

Back
Top Bottom