Chick born with twisted leg

JustAnotherWeirdo

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2023
This egg was pipped 2 days ago but the chick just didn’t hatch and the membrane was busy drying out and sticking to the chick. So I carefully helped the chick out of the egg and saw that he has a twisted leg and strange looking feet. Could it be that he hatched too soon or was it caused by something else and is there anything I can do to help him?

Attachments

• IMG_1731.jpeg
    IMG_1731.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1730.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1722.jpeg
    IMG_1722.jpeg
    587.9 KB · Views: 13
This egg was pipped 2 days ago but the chick just didn’t hatch and the membrane was busy drying out and sticking to the chick. So I carefully helped the chick out of the egg and saw that he has a twisted leg and strange looking feet. Could it be that he hatched too soon or was it caused by something else and is there anything I can do to help him?
I have had many chicks hatch on their own like this. He was ready to come out of the egg. It is most likely a deformity. Can he walk??

Give him time, because he’s weak from hatching. You’ll have a much better idea of his condition once he strengthens up a bit. I’ve had a few that looked questionable upon hatch, but a few days later were just fine. He’s been cramped up inside the shell, so sometimes they just need time to adjust to being freed. If it’s a deformity, he may still be okay. Time will tell. Good wishes. 😊

I left him in the incubator for quite a while and he started standing up and moving around. The leg also improved and seems like it could be fixed the same way as spraddle leg and then I’ll figure out what to do with the toes

I left him in the incubator for quite a while and he started standing up and moving around. The leg also improved and seems like it could be fixed the same way as spraddle leg and then I’ll figure out what to do with the toes
Welcome to BYC. You could try taping the toes flat.
Fixing Curled Toes With Tape - Picture Tutorial and Video

Fixing Curled Toes With Tape - Picture Tutorial and Video

7-31-2019 Sometimes a chick will develop or hatch with a condition called curled toes or curly toes in one or both feet. Many people believe this is caused by them being in the shell too long or humidity being too high during incubation. It's been my experience that this type of curled toes...

I tied the feet together like you do with spraddle leg but it’s still as twisted as before. the chick is also dry but not fluffed out and seems to have wry neck too.

Back
Top Bottom