Chick breathing hard and sleepin a lot

hirschykiss

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
My week old silkie chick seems to breathing hard. Opening her beak when it breathes. A little click when it breathes. Almost like a little sneeze sometimes. Eyes closed most of the time. I checked her and it looked like her vent was pasted up so I cleaned it. She is on medicated feed and in with her Mommy right now. She is our first broody hatch. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

I'm not sure what to say. She is with her mommy and getting medicated feed. A world can't get any better than that for a chick. My mommy chickens always take such good care of their 'kids'. But sometimes something goes wrong and once in a while a chick will die for no apparent reason. Probably from something they were born with.

Do you know if she is eating and drinking? Try dipping her beak in sugar water. If possible use a chick waterer or something red. For some reason it makes a difference.

Is the momma taking care of the baby or pushing it away?

I wish I could be more help. I hope she gets better.

Thanks for the reply! Mom doesn't seem to be pushing it away? Not sure what that means? I did give a little sugar water and have a red chick waterer in there. I hope it snaps out of it
fl.gif
but it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Back
Top Bottom