Chick/brooding area in a coop

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
I have an 8x8 chicken coop and want to incorporate a brooding area into my coop. I was thinking of having a brooding box under the roosts, with a solid slanted top as a “poop board”. The front would have mesh door. Has anyone done something like this? Or have another idea of putting a brooder in the coop, without wasting too much space?

This is the current setup in my coop. The bottom left if where I brood, but I need more roosting bars, so wanted to extend them higher and over the brooding area.

Attachments

• 59FAD2BC-229A-49FD-972B-309DA56C38EC.jpeg
    59FAD2BC-229A-49FD-972B-309DA56C38EC.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 53
I have an 8x8 chicken coop and want to incorporate a brooding area into my coop. I was thinking of having a brooding box under the roosts, with a solid slanted top as a “poop board”. The front would have mesh door. Has anyone done something like this? Or have another idea of putting a brooder in the coop, without wasting too much space?

This is the current setup in my coop. The bottom left if where I brood, but I need more roosting bars, so wanted to extend them higher and over the brooding area.

I wouldn't want to have to get through the under-roost poop load every time I wanted to get to my chicks.

Maybe if you did a flat poop board with PDZ under the roost/above the brooder (or as the brooder top) that would help? I think it's a great use of space, but I'd also want it to be clean.

I know a lot of people have that set up, hopefully some will share pics for you.

Thanks @aart for tagging me, I still don't get much awake free time yet. Retired and catching up on the new neglected 25 acres takes a lot, but I'm enjoying it! I've thrown 14 yards of mulch on flower beds so far, in the past few weeks, still need at least 9 more yards. Dropping dead trees, splitting wood for winter... the list goes on, haha!

To the brooder...
Here's a few pics of my old set up, in an 8 x 12 coop.
I made the poop board high enough, so I had room for the brooder underneath and had access from above. I used a dog Xpen and crate for the brooder. The cardboard doors on the front, are for integrating the chicks. This set up worked really well.

Now I have my coop in a converted 10 x 10 horse stall and had the brooder next to the roost. I'm not using a poop board yet, I'm doing deep litter on the dirt floor, which is working well so far. I didn't think to take pics of this set up when I had chicks, but I used the same Xpen.
The last pic is the new coop. I had the Xpen along the 6ft wall, where the square waterer is sitting.
2019 brooder.jpg
2019 chick panic doors.jpg
coop brooder 2019.jpg
integration 28 days old 2018 1.jpg
coop16.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @aart for tagging me, I still don't get much awake free time yet. Retired and catching up on the new neglected 25 acres takes a lot, but I'm enjoying it! I've thrown 14 yards of mulch on flower beds so far, in the past few weeks, still need at least 9 more yards. Dropping dead trees, splitting wood for winter... the list goes on, haha!

To the brooder...
I made the poop board high enough, so I had room for the brooder underneath and had access from above. I used a dog Xpen and crate for the brooder. The cardboard doors on the front, are for integrating the chicks. This set up worked really well.

Now I have my coop in a converted 10 x 10 horse stall and had the brooder next to the roost. I'm not using a poop board yet, I'm doing deep litter on the dirt floor, which is working well so far. I didn't think to take pics of this set up when I had chicks, but I used the same Xpen.
The last pic is the new coop. I had the Xpen along the 6ft wall, where the square waterer is sitting. View attachment 2710289View attachment 2710290View attachment 2710291View attachment 2710298View attachment 2710326
Thank you!

I have a brooder set up under a poop board.

It works great. I made the front wall removable. It looks a bit like a screen door, I walk it into the coop and wedge it up against the front of the poop tray.

This way the entire area under the poop tray is brooder.

Poop tray is flat and at about 3 feet up.

The middle of the removable wall has a door, both left and right sides are wire.

To the brooder...

The last pic is the new coop. I had the Xpen along the 6ft wall, where the square waterer is sitting. View attachment 2710289View attachment 2710290View attachment 2710291View attachment 2710298View attachment 2710326
I enjoyed your pics, they made me smile. Thank you 🐥 ❤️

Back
Top Bottom