Chick cannot stand/walk, flips onto side.

Jeannine613

Hatching
May 31, 2020
We have a chick that hatched in April. It was the last chick to hatch out of the 16 in the incubator and it has never been able to stand without flopping over on its side. We separated it from the rest so it wouldn’t get trampled. We have tried vitamins in the water, extra vitamin e, tried taping legs but still flips over. When it falls on its side it spins around trying to stand. It’s now almost 8 weeks old now and still having the same issues. It eats and drinks and is very feisty. When we help it to stand it wants to take off running but flops over. From what I’ve read it seems to be neurological. I don’t know what else to try to help him. I saw an old post from 10years ago that was exactly the same as this chick, but didn’t see an outcome. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jeannine! Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of the chick's actions? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

You taped the legs - are they crooked/deformed?
From your description, it does sound neurological. If the chick hatched like that - there may be nothing else you can do, but it's worth a try.

What are you feeding?
How much extra Vitamin E did you give and for how long?

400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex along with some egg daily for a week. Try that and see.

Also could you get a clear picture from the front of the chick’s legs while standing, even if you have to hold it up? That would help to spot a leg bone deformity or slipped tendon. Sorry about your chick.

Hi Jeannine! Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of the chick's actions? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

You taped the legs - are they crooked/deformed?
From your description, it does sound neurological. If the chick hatched like that - there may be nothing else you can do, but it's worth a try.

What are you feeding?
How much extra Vitamin E did you give and for how long?

400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex along with some egg daily for a week. Try that and see.
Thanks for the reply! I will get a video of the chick tomorrow. We are doing 400iu capsule once per day, just started Doctor’s Best B-Complex capsules on Wednesday, and today added Smarthealth Naturopathic antibiotic.
It has been like this since hatching on April 8th. It was the last chick to hatch, 2 days after the rest. We kept it separated from the others so it wouldn’t get trampled. It’s eating, drinking and growing but now it doesn’t walk at all without help from us. It always seems to flop onto its left side and moves it’s legs like it wants to run. So sad to watch but it’s so feisty that we keep trying to help it recover.
We’re feeding Purina flock raiser now, started them on Purina chick starter, medicated feed.
We even made a harness for it so we can try to help it stand/walk and get stronger (like physical therapy, lol)
Really at a loss on what else to try.
Thanks so much for your help!

We have a chick that hatched in April. It was the last chick to hatch out of the 16 in the incubator and it has never been able to stand without flopping over on its side. We separated it from the rest so it wouldn’t get trampled. We have tried vitamins in the water, extra vitamin e, tried taping legs but still flips over. When it falls on its side it spins around trying to stand. It’s now almost 8 weeks old now and still having the same issues. It eats and drinks and is very feisty. When we help it to stand it wants to take off running but flops over. From what I’ve read it seems to be neurological. I don’t know what else to try to help him. I saw an old post from 10years ago that was exactly the same as this chick, but didn’t see an outcome. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wow, I hope you get some help for your chick. It’s gotta be feisty and have a real will to live! I am amazed that it is still alive!

Thanks for the reply! I will get a video of the chick tomorrow. We are doing 400iu capsule once per day, just started Doctor’s Best B-Complex capsules on Wednesday, and today added Smarthealth Naturopathic antibiotic.
It has been like this since hatching on April 8th. It was the last chick to hatch, 2 days after the rest. We kept it separated from the others so it wouldn’t get trampled. It’s eating, drinking and growing but now it doesn’t walk at all without help from us. It always seems to flop onto its left side and moves it’s legs like it wants to run. So sad to watch but it’s so feisty that we keep trying to help it recover.
We’re feeding Purina flock raiser now, started them on Purina chick starter, medicated feed.
We even made a harness for it so we can try to help it stand/walk and get stronger (like physical therapy, lol)
Really at a loss on what else to try.
Thanks so much for your help!
Sadly, it sounds like your chick may have Marek's :(

Back
Top Bottom