Chick can't hold head up

Can I ask what finally happened with peanut? I have a brahma that the feed store gave me 'cause she just spun in circles and didn't seem to be able to walk straight. I thought it might be an inner ear thing and it might clear up... but she gets tired a lot and can't hold her head up when that happens. I searched to see what was wrong, and I keep coming up with wry neck as the problem... unfortunately, I have an autoimmune disease, myself, so I had lots of prednisone laying around. This will be her third day on the stuff, and I gave her b12 the first day, but the second day she's been on a liquid b complex and vit e as well as selenium... she also has a little pasty-butt cornish companion that they were gonna cull, too. (Free chicks are expensive!)

I have seen mild improvement... the wry neck brahma used to shake like a bobblehead, and she barely does that... she is now capable of running in a straight line, but usually ends up veering off and ending in a little circle at the end. She still tires easily and her head goes down between her toes.

Just looking for a little hope... or not...
I had a chick that presented with these problems, and treated her with Vitamin E, selenium, Poultry booster, and hand fed her with Parrot hand feeding formula. She went from passed out, unarrouseable, then running backwards or in circles with her head tucked down between her legs, couldn't hold her head up to eat. Today, you wouldn't know that there was any thing wrong with her. Keep up with it, provide the nutrition and the extra vitamins, and I bet she'll come around.

ok, then my next question is... has anyone had a chick with wry neck that got worse before getting better while it was being treated?

Back
Top Bottom