Chick cant keep balance

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
I recently adopted a 10 week old chick who's been showing signs of wry neck. She's been backing up with her head tucked between her legs, and doing little summersaults randomly. She also has a psle comb, but that might be bc she's had trouble eating and drinking for the last few days.

Her previous owner said that she started showing signs of wry neck shortly after she installed a perch in her coop a few days ago. However, it's only about a foot off the ground, and it is a tall coop, so there might be a possibility that she gave herself a mild concussion. Although it doesn't sound high enough for a 10 week old to hurt herself, unless she literally jumped straight up and hit her head or something.

She has been feeding them unmedicated chick starter until recently, so I don't think the wry neck is caused by a nutritional deficiency. At least not in her diet.

She also said that the chick was purchased from Atwoods, which apparently doesn't have the best reputation for breeders.

She has about 8 chicks, which are all close to the same age, so there's no chance that she's been bullied by an adult chicken.

She has been able to walk short distances without doing somersaults since this morning, although she does still backup randomly. When we got home yesterday, she had a lot of trouble keeping her balance and would randomly backup and do somersaults, so she is showing some improvement. However, she still keeps her head tilted down.

I literally adopted her yesterday. I gave her some water and watched her eat a little flock raiser on her own, so she at least has a healthy appetite.

400 i.u vitamin E and a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
You can get these at the grocery store.
Some birds need more nutrition.
Remember to quarantine new birds away from your flock.

400 i.u vitamin E and a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
You can get these at the grocery store.
Some birds need more nutrition.
Remember to quarantine new birds away from your flock.
So do you think it's wry neck caused by a nutritional deficiency? Could she have been born with it?

Attachments

• 20230916_234648.jpg
    20230916_234648.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom