Chick can't poo- Help!

I have read on here that Molasses is a good thing to make chickens to go to the bathroom. I don't know what the dosage is but for a little chick I would think just a small amount should work. I also read that you don't want to use it for very long because it may make them dehydrated. This is for adults and not sure if it would work for little ones. I don't think molasses is bad if you just give the minimal amount to get the job done.

Can you feel the crop on the chick? Is it firm, squishy?

I hope your little one gets better and goes poopy.

sorry that I don't know more, but I agree if the chick is only eating chick starter then they don't need grit. I would also try plain yogurt as well, definitely some scrambled eggs are soft.

I am beginner with chickens, but canned pumpkin is the ultimate at unblocking every other critter...... Wait till someone else chimes in on that to make sure its ok to give chicks first though!

Most Chick Starter feeds have a bit of grit in them.
With new chicks that do not have access to a mother hen, it would be good to give the chicks some plain yogurt. I picked this tip up from these forums and it does help (even with pasty butts)

I scrambled an egg and smeared a 1/2 tsp of plain yogurt on the scrambled eggs. Then gave this to the chicks as a treat. Chicks raised in a brooder need help getting the good bacteria in their tiny tummies for good digestion.

Also, even though the Chick Starter feed has some grit mixed in, we put some river sand in a frisbee and put it in the brooder with the chicks and let them play in it. The chicks loved getting the sand to play in. Plus as we were giving them other food treats the sand acts as grit in their crop to aid in digesting their food. They also started dust bathing in the frisbee. (it was soo cute)

May want to watch him for a bit to make sure he is drinking good on his own too. As not getting enough water could be another factor in his being constipated.

Quote:
th.gif
uh, that's incredibly good to know!

Nothing is moving on it's own yet. I tried to not squeeze him and see what happened. He started looked very bloated, so this squeeze produced about a 3 inch log of poo. Unfortunately, we just got about 9 inches of snow, so I can't get off the farm yet to get yogurt or sand. Trying everything else every couple of hours though. Let's all chant: Poo! Poo! Poo!

Brown sugar is nothing more than sugar with molasses added. You can mix a table spoon of water to a tablespoon of brown sugar and let the chick take a few sips of that to get the molasses going.

We're hoping for the best.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom