Chick can't poo- Help!

marcym

Songster
13 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Iowa
Hatched out 11/23, barred rock mixed with whatever roo got lucky. I feed chick started from the feed store. From day one, it's bum has been bare and it's vent is slightly protruding. You can see it try to poo, it's vent open and closes and it appears to be pushing, but no poo. There is nothing stuck in the hole, it's not pasty butt. If I squeeze the little fella a little, an inch long piece of solid looking poo comes out, it looks like it isn't being digested very well. I've Vaselined his bum, squeeze poop out of him 1-2 times a day, and am out of ideas. Hubby wants me to just let him go, but he's healthy looking and acts fine. I don't want him to doe of a poo back up. Ex lax for chicks? HELP!

I've never heard of chick grit. I do have grit for the flock, but I think those pieces are bigger than his beak. No sand available at the moment either.

Just guessing, maybe you can wet the food down. Could it be getting enough water? If they have some wet food, it might help it digest and then give its poo a little runny consistency. I haven't done this personally, just brainstorming. Maybe dip beak in water to ensure it knows where the water is. Good Luck.

You might try grinding the grit into smaller pieces; you can use a mocajete or a mortor and pestle. You could grind up a few sprouts (alfalfa or clover) along with the grit to help get things 'moving' along...

Someone posted on here also about using grit made for pet birds- like the kind you buy in the grocery store....maybe someone will help me on that?

Do you know, you could give him scrambled eggs. That is perfect chick food, and it's soft.

Last edited:
Some people give parakeet grit, but I've never tried it.

I had a chick that had a protruding bottom and when it did poo it was very solid. I was neurotic about it for a few days and even tried feeding it Activia
roll.png
. I ended up having to go out of town for a couple of days, so I HAD to leave it alone. Over five months later, and it is a perfectly healthy chicken. Even without completing the Activia challenge.
lau.gif

Good luck!

Be sure that if you buy bird grit it doesn't have calcium. Most parakeet grit does, and it can be fatal for young chicks.

If you are feeding only starter you do not need grit. You don't need grit until you feed grain or other treats. As far as the poo issue you can try mixing in some yogurt with the feed. The yogurt will give the chick the good bacteria it needs in it's system. Chicks will get this naturally from their mother as they pick around in her poo but without mom they can use a little help. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom