Chick can't stand--help!!

chickennyc

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I was away for a few days and my 8 week old chicks were being fed and watered by my friend. They still live in a box in my house...we going to move to the coop tomorrow. I found my favorite chick--always has been the smallest and most timid of the group--sitting in the corner unable to get up. Her feet were curled underneath her. She couldn't walk. I lifted her out and hand-fed and watered her: she drank plenty of raw milk, ate her homemade feed, and had water with a bit of honey mixed in. Her water was kind of dirty when I came in--there was some feces in it though I do keep garlic and a little bit of apple cider vinegar in it. They get greens and some garlic every day.

Anyway, even after eating, she can't stand. Her feet are still curled under. She has tried to stand up and has to prop her wings out to support herself but her feet are not supporting her. Although she still seems alert and awake she is now periodically panting.

I'm feeling really really upset. These are my first chicks for my urban flock.
Any suggestions? I separated her from the other 5 chicks but I can see she is feeling worse not being with them.

M

Sorry for your loss,
sad.png

Do your chicks have access to grit?

Also i think putting honey in their water in can cause bacteria to grow vey fast and could cause problems when the chicks drink it.

What kind of chicks did ya get?

I didn't give the rest of the chicks honey, just this one so that she could get some glucose into her, as I think she was dehydrated/hungry since my friend probably never noticed that she wasn't able to eat at some point since I was gone. She was doing perfectly well before--was one of the fastest chicks actually.

I usually just have water with a clove of garlic and a touch of apple cider vinegar.

Put a little homeopathic rescue remedy in her water now, hoping for the best, but.

after further study, I think she might have curled toe paralysis, riboflavin deficiency. Any ideas on how to get her to take liquid vitamin supplement?

Back
Top Bottom