Chick Casualties

Pics
I like to use the tsc pine bedding as well and I generally get my chicks from there or rural king. I am very gun shy of ordering and having them shipped after my neighbor had a bad experience similar to yours. As an aside I did a brooder plate with my new crew and they loved it up until about week two now I just have one runt out of the ten birds I’ve got growing that uses it the rest use the heat lamp.

This 18 is the absolute most the coop/run I’m building can handle so unless mass casualties happen again, which right now seems like everyone is doing great the past few days, that should be my last batch of chicks for a few years! Unless major chicken math happens lol
Never underestimate the power of chicken math - and always be prepared for the unexpected. Our first batch turned out to be nine cockerels and one pullet so we ended up starting over from scratch. These were sext chicks too. Then David got itchy feet and wanted more chickens. So we've built a second coop. Currently, we have 10 one day old chicks in a brooder in the house, one broody hen sitting on 5 eggs, and seven eggs in an incubator. Lol.

One must remember...TSC chicks are shipped in the mail just the same as most chicks are shipped in the U.S. TSC orders from major hatcheries like a lot of us do. (Hoover's, Cackle, Meyer, etc.)

TSC chicks can suffer from shipping stress just the same and the stores do experience losses. It's not uncommon for folks to be on here needing help with chicks whether they had them shipped directly to them or they picked them up a local feed store.

Perhaps I missed where the OP lost TSC chicks, but there's quite a few pages in this thread.
Yep. I think he said he just lost one from the TSC group. I don't doubt that shipping stress was the cause. A lot of people use hemp bedding with no problem. He said he felt like it was bedding so I recommended a switch. Either way, they are all doing great now and I am very happy to see it. So many people from this site jumped in and helped diagnose the issue. That's one thing I love about this site is all the helpful people. And very little negativity. People like you and others have always been here to answer my questions. Know it is appreciated.

I like to use the tsc pine bedding as well and I generally get my chicks from there or rural king. I am very gun shy of ordering and having them shipped after my neighbor had a bad experience similar to yours. As an aside I did a brooder plate with my new crew and they loved it up until about week two now I just have one runt out of the ten birds I’ve got growing that uses it the rest use the heat lamp.
We ordered from Cackle hatchery and had good luck but that was in the end of July. We probably got very lucky because Florida was exceptionally hot this summer. Our other two batches of chicks, we drove several hours to pick them up because I was a nervous wreck throughout the entire shipping process. We just drove 3 hours one way to pick up our silver Bielefelders on Monday. Last June, we drove all the way to Mississippi 5 hours one way to get our cream leg bars.

We ordered from Cackle hatchery and had good luck but that was in the end of July. We probably got very lucky because Florida was exceptionally hot this summer. Our other two batches of chicks, we drove several hours to pick them up because I was a nervous wreck throughout the entire shipping process. We just drove 3 hours one way to pick up our silver Bielefelders on Monday. Last June, we drove all the way to Mississippi 5 hours one way to get our cream leg bars.
My issue with ordering them is that our post office is flat out terrible with anything more complicated than delivering a letter.

image.jpg

LITTLE UPDATE
Didn’t know if I should make a new thread or not but since everyone on this thread has heard/seen/been along the ride of my struggles I figured this would be a great place to share! They got their open floor plan tonight! Went from a 3x3 to a 3x6! Put the brooder plate back in if anyone wanted to snuggle up since i put the red light on the outside of the lid. Also we dropped the lid with the open floor plan since we had a few testing their wings getting pretty high up! All 18 are still going strong! Everyone was in a full sprint of excitement to get some more room to explore!

View attachment 3770592
LITTLE UPDATE
Didn’t know if I should make a new thread or not but since everyone on this thread has heard/seen/been along the ride of my struggles I figured this would be a great place to share! They got their open floor plan tonight! Went from a 3x3 to a 3x6! Put the brooder plate back in if anyone wanted to snuggle up since i put the red light on the outside of the lid. Also we dropped the lid with the open floor plan since we had a few testing their wings getting pretty high up! All 18 are still going strong! Everyone was in a full sprint of excitement to get some more room to explore!
Ty do much for the update!

Back
Top Bottom