Chick Casualties

NEW QUESTION
Since I’m 95% certain the bedding was my root cause… when do I add bedding in again? Rather afraid to. I know someone mentioned to get the biggest flakes I could find instead of the hemp I had used. Maybe just getting the TSC brand flakes since thats what they were on when I picked them up would be the best plan? Maybe this weekend when I will be home all day to watch them.

NEW QUESTION
Since I’m 95% certain the bedding was my root cause… when do I add bedding in again? Rather afraid to. I know someone mentioned to get the biggest flakes I could find instead of the hemp I had used. Maybe just getting the TSC brand flakes since that's what they were on when I picked them up would be the best plan? Maybe this weekend when I will be home all day to watch them.
I'm not so sure.... it seemed like a combination of stress and vitamin deficiency in the eggs. like I said, the same thing happened to my birds, and they are on the same bedding they were started on.

Last edited:
Morning Report
Another night no losses! 18 babies running around eating and drinking and playing!
I unfortunately had a loss last night. My bantam D'Uccle was pecked hard on the head. There was a little blood that I put stop bleed on but chick became lethargic and was off balance when it tried to get up. I felt helpless because I knew it was a head injury and there was nothing else I could do. She didnt make it threw the night 😢

NEW QUESTION
Since I’m 95% certain the bedding was my root cause… when do I add bedding in again? Rather afraid to. I know someone mentioned to get the biggest flakes I could find instead of the hemp I had used. Maybe just getting the TSC brand flakes since thats what they were on when I picked them up would be the best plan? Maybe this weekend when I will be home all day to watch them.
Likely bedding didn't have anything to do with the losses. You lost some right at the very beginning.
Shipping stress...

As for bedding. Pine flakes are fine to use. You can use the large flake if you feel that may be better.
I've used the fine, mixed and large with chicks and haven't found a problem.

DO provide chick grit for your chicks. Chicks will eventually pick up little pieces of bedding regardless of what you use. I've had them eat paper towels, pick off small pieces of puppy pads, cardboard and just regular bedding too. Chicks will just about eat anything, but their gizzard is tough and will usually process most things if given the equipment (Grit) to process it.

NEW QUESTION
That was me that suggested it if you wanted to switch. I use the premium flake from TSC in the white bag - not the yellow. I've never had a problem with chicks eating it.

I usually also put chick grit in for them in a separate bowl.

I'm not sure if hemp is your issue, because a lot of people use it.

@Wyorp Rock , he also lost some TSC chicks after the entire mail order loss. I think that's why they felt it was an impacted crop from hemp - not sure though. I suggested if he was concerned to get the flake bedding that TSC carries. His brooder temp looked ok - but I'm definitely no expert.

Here is part of my current brooder set up - this is the flake size we use.

However, if you plan on raising more chicks, also get some Sav-A-chick. I put it in warm water for all new chicks - and make sure your water is warm. Cold water can also cause issues for new chicks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_000714967.jpg
    PXL_20240305_000714967.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock , he also lost some TSC chicks after the entire mail order loss.
One must remember...TSC chicks are shipped in the mail just the same as most chicks are shipped in the U.S. TSC orders from major hatcheries like a lot of us do. (Hoover's, Cackle, Meyer, etc.)

TSC chicks can suffer from shipping stress just the same and the stores do experience losses. It's not uncommon for folks to be on here needing help with chicks whether they had them shipped directly to them or they picked them up a local feed store.

Perhaps I missed where the OP lost TSC chicks, but there's quite a few pages in this thread.
TSC birds are doing great

All TSC birds are crowded around the feed and water sprinting around.. only mail order chick from the 15 is the lonely specked sussex. 5 starlight green eggers, 5 sapphire gems, and 4 speckled Sussexs gone in less than 2 days for reasons i dont understand.

That was me that suggested it if you wanted to switch. I use the premium flake from TSC in the white bag - not the yellow. I've never had a problem with chicks eating it.

I usually also put chick grit in for them in a separate bowl.

I'm not sure if hemp is your issue, because a lot of people use it.

@Wyorp Rock , he also lost some TSC chicks after the entire mail order loss. I think that's why they felt it was an impacted crop from hemp - not sure though. I suggested if he was concerned to get the flake bedding that TSC carries. His brooder temp looked ok - but I'm definitely no expert.

Here is part of my current brooder set up - this is the flake size we use.

However, if you plan on raising more chicks, also get some Sav-A-chick. I put it in warm water for all new chicks - and make sure your water is warm. Cold water can also cause issues for new chicks.
This 18 is the absolute most the coop/run I’m building can handle so unless mass casualties happen again, which right now seems like everyone is doing great the past few days, that should be my last batch of chicks for a few years! Unless major chicken math happens lol

Back
Top Bottom