Chick Casualties

Everyone.. i don’t know what to do. Lost 6 more overnight. All from the original mail order i believe. Starlights and amberlink look similar. So either have 2 starlights and 1 sussex left or 1 Sussex and one starlight left from the original.. 2 were just outside the plate dead and 4 were under the plate dead. I DONT KNOW WHAT IS GOING WRONG!!! Open to any and all advice. Feeling pretty bad this morning losing all these birds this weekend

Everyone.. i don’t know what to do. Lost 6 more overnight. All from the original mail order i believe. Starlights and amberlink look similar. So either have 2 starlights and 1 sussex left or 1 Sussex and one starlight left from the original.. 2 were just outside the plate dead and 4 were under the plate dead. I DONT KNOW WHAT IS GOING WRONG!!! Open to any and all advice. Feeling pretty bad this morning losing all these birds this weekend
At 1am before i went to bed i made sure i saw every chick up and moving and lively

I had asked in here and everyone said the plates are good down to 50 so i gotten a red light lamp to keep the ambient temperature up in the 70s for when they come out to eat and drink then back under the plate per friends on here. Wondering if the weaker ones were not able to stand tall enough to get the full plate heat? Only conclusion i can come to besides they were just simply weak batch
They should be kept at 95 degrees at this age. I see you have a brooder plate. Do you have a thermometer under the plate at "chick" level?

At 1am before i went to bed i made sure i saw every chick up and moving and livel
I'm so sorry! What a devastating first experience! I'm assuming you used Hoovers hatchery based on the breeds. They are reputable as far as hatcheries go.

Have you tried calling the hatchery? I have never used Hoover - but I know cackle hatchery was very responsive when I ordered from them. So it may be worth calling Hoovers. They may have additional advice.

Put a thermometer under the brooder at chick level and make sure it's 95. Also, make sure their water is warm. It should also be around 90-100 degrees.

I hope your last two pull through.

Thinking of dropping the plate entirely and just using a heat lamp
I use a govee thermometer under mine. I place it on the floor at chick level so I know what the temp is where they are (not plate level). It has an alarm that I beeps my phone if the temperature fluctuates below 90 or above 100. And I can see the temp just by looking at my phone. I definitely prefer plates to lamps, but let's just say that can be a heated debate

I feel bad for you, did you dip there beaks in there water/ food? What type of water are you using well or city?
Yes dipped as they went in.. all seemed to know where the water was and food was in the container and spread on the ground around it on paper towels. Just was watching them before replying and one just started running in circles then flopped on its side.. got it to drink some water but looks like we will be losing yet another mail ordered chick. All TSC birds are crowded around the feed and water sprinting around.. only mail order chick from the 15 is the lonely specked sussex. 5 starlight green eggers, 5 sapphire gems, and 4 speckled Sussexs gone in less than 2 days for reasons i dont understand. Cant wrap my head around it

Back
Top Bottom