Chick Casualties

Yes dipped as they went in.. all seemed to know where the water was and food was in the container and spread on the ground around it on paper towels. Just was watching them before replying and one just started running in circles then flopped on its side.. got it to drink some water but looks like we will be losing yet another mail ordered chick. All TSC birds are crowded around the feed and water sprinting around.. only mail order chick from the 15 is the lonely specked sussex. 5 starlight green eggers, 5 sapphire gems, and 4 speckled Sussexs gone in less than 2 days for reasons i dont understand. Cant wrap my head around it
Oh. I misunderstood. All the TSC chicks are fine after having them for the same amount of time?
Then your babies could have had a rough journey through the mail. If this is the case, you should call your hatchery. I'm so sorry for this!

@lagrange chicks had a good question too. Are you on well or city water?

I am on well water. It goes through a softener and i also was using a water filter to get the cleanest water for as much of a help as i can. Water also has the electrolytes and probiotic mix in.

Here are some really good instructions that Cackle sent us with our order
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/chick-care-instructions/

Since some of the ones from TSC also perished, I think something is missing.

Is there water also around 90-100? They need warm water.

If you can post photos of your setup, that's also helpful.

image.jpg
Everyone seems to like the light more. I am trying raising the plate and flipping it to heater to maybe get some more heat radiating?

I got my first order of chicks yesterday. 1/5 sapphire gems was gone pretty much on arrival and 2/5 speckled sussexs were gone within the hour even after trying my best to kickstart them. Only super sturdy ones were my starlight green eggers. Woke up this morning to 2 more sapphire gems and 2 more speckled sussexes dead. So currently have 1 ss, 2 sapphire gems, and all 5 starlights kicking. Brooder was mid 70s and brooder plate was nice and warm. Why am i losing them?? Just a bad batch? Sound like stress? Sussexs and gems never looked quite right from the get go. Any words of wisdom?? Please? Thanks.
This happened with some Plymouth Barred Rock chicks I got last month. Two died, and everyone here said it was because I didn’t have a heat lamp. I got a lamp with overnight shipping, but less than a day later two more were dead. Two chicks survived with no trace of whatever killed their roommates, and after some research, my mom thinks that it was a genetic disorder or a vitamin problem with the egg. Are they arching their spines or tilting their head back at odd angles?

This happened with some Plymouth Barred Rock chicks I got last month. Two died, and everyone here said it was because I didn’t have a heat lamp. I got a lamp with overnight shipping, but less than a day later two more were dead. Two chicks survived with no trace of whatever killed their roommates, and after some research, my mom thinks that it was a genetic disorder or a vitamin problem with the egg. Are they arching their spines or tilting their head back at odd angles?
YES!!

View attachment 3762270Everyone seems to like the light more. I am trying raising the plate and flipping it to heater to maybe get some more heat radiating?
Someone point anything out they dont think is good. Have the last mail order chick acting a little rough and now 1 tsc barred rock was under the plate on her side not doing too hot. They both did drink some. Should i just get this darn plate out of here!!??

Someone point anything out they dont think is good. Have the last mail order chick acting a little rough and now 1 tsc barred rock was under the plate on her side not doing too hot. They both did drink some. Should i just get this darn plate out of here!!??
I can see your thermometer - and it looks like it's reading 88? But it's not directly under the brooder. So, it's probably closer to 95. So, I'm not convinced heat is your problem. You said you are on well water. That does bring in lots of variables. Can you possibly get some bottled water - and make sure it's warm. I do see a little gap in the back wall. Is that drafty and letting cooler air under your brooder box? Can you try stuffing some material behind the brooder to block it if it is? Please don't put anything flammable under the heat lamp.

I cannot tell what your bedding is. I use standard flake for mine. That's not cedar is it? Cedar is toxic to chickens. Also, not sure if chicks will eat smaller things than flake (which is why I use flake), but it could impact their little crops if they do.

Also, the upper sides on my brooder are mesh so they have more ventilation. I'm not sure if they are getting enough ventilation in that box like that. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive any thoughts on @TyRi set up ? Picture a few posts ago.

I can see your thermometer - and it looks like it's reading 88? But it's not directly under the brooder. So, it's probably closer to 95. So, I'm not convinced heat is your problem. You said you are on well water. That does bring in lots of variables. Can you possibly get some bottled water - and make sure it's warm. I do see a little gap in the back wall. Is that drafty and letting cooler air under your brooder box? Can you try stuffing some material behind the brooder to block it if it is? Please don't put anything flammable under the heat lamp.

I cannot tell what your bedding is. I use standard flake for mine. That's not cedar is it? Cedar is toxic to chickens. Also, not sure if chicks will eat smaller things than flake (which is why I use flake), but it could impact their little crops if they do.

Also, the upper sides on my brooder are mesh so they have more ventilation. I'm not sure if they are getting enough ventilation in that box like that. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive any thoughts on @TyRi set up ? Picture a few posts ago.
That back gap is concrete with no drafts. That bedding is hemp and the front is paper towels. Started with all paper towels but added the hemp bedding to hopefully retain warmth if that was the issue. It is double purified well water but i can start bottled water asap. The entire top is open and the area they are in right now is 3’x3.5’ with 2’ walls. The top is currently all open. Maybe not enough air circulation you mean as new air in and old air out? They are in my garage with nothing else in there and we have parked outside so no drafts come in.

That back gap is concrete with no drafts. That bedding is hemp and the front is paper towels. Started with all paper towels but added the hemp bedding to hopefully retain warmth if that was the issue. It is double purified well water but i can start bottled water asap. The entire top is open and the area they are in right now is 3’x3.5’ with 2’ walls. The top is currently all open. Maybe not enough air circulation you mean as new air in and old air out? They are in my garage with nothing else in there and we have parked outside so no drafts come in.
When was the last time your well water was tested? I would think if you are drinking it, it should be fine. But that's all I can think of. I'm hoping one of the people I tagged will chime in soon. I haven't ever used hemp bedding, but I know lots of people do. And what is the temperature of the water? It should be around 90-100

Back
Top Bottom