Chick Charming--- Anyone figured this out yet?

redfeather

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Chick Charming is what I'm calling it, and I'm going to challenge you to try it.

Think of one of your little chickes... particularly, that one that races to the other side of the brooder the moment you draw near and peeps frantically every time you pick it up. Now, envision that same chick flopped contentedly in the palms of your hands, eyes closed in sleep.

I know how to make it happen!

Okay... just try this. Sit by the brooder and observe them. They usually go in a cycle of "everyone sleeping" then "everyone eating" then "everyone sleeping" again... occasionally mixing it up with scratching around in the litter and/or preening.

Anyway, wait until they have all eaten and are starting to stand around preparing for the "everyone sleeping" part of the last 15 minutes, and pick up your little scardey chick.

Immediately bring her (or him, I guess) right up under your hot brooder lamp, as close as within 3''. Only breifly, probably less than a second.. If the chick is in the mood it should almost uncontrollably flop over on it's side in your hand, putting a wing up in the air. As soon as it starts to flop, bring it over to the side to a comfortable heat level.

In most cases the chick will regard you with a slight contented peep, stretch out it's neck and close it's eyes and sleep happily cradled in your hands.

It seems that momentary exposure to the high levels of heat (without giving time for anything more than their outer down to heat up) gives them intense levels of pleasure, akin to sunbathing (you know how your hens will lay about the yard, flopped on their side, wing outstretched).

I've found this works not only on 3 day old chicks, but on 2 week old chicks as well... I found it was a very helpful technique in getting the older chickies to associate me with a pleasureful experience, and not just food. Several of my 4 week old chickies are very friendly and want to perch on my hand and be stroked, so I highly reccomend even experimenting!

If anyone has mentioned this before, I apologize, I am not trying to claim fame (lol) over your teqnique... I just had a little lightbulb go on tonight as I did this with a few particularly flighty BO chicks in my brooder, and they flopped over and went happily to sleep in my hands.
smile.png

I've never heard of it.

But I DO promise to print out the technique, and I'm sure that my seven-year-old (who is obsessed with baby chickens!) will attempt it the next time we get a batch of chicks in!

What a wonderful discovery! Mine are already tame, but I'll try it with the next round of babies! It makes perfect sense...

haven't used the heat lamp method but i have used my lap and so far it only works with Ray I call him my lap chick i'll put him my lap and he'll settle in and go to sleep he peeps will he sleeps and he tucks his head it's really cute i can get several to fall asleep in my hand if i have time to be that still and i can keep everyone out of the shop long enough and i can keep my four legged kids from wanting in

Back
Top Bottom