Chick clicks when breathing

kat_and_hens

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Maine
Hi everybody. I have another sick chick from my batch of recently hatched. She is breathing really hard and making a clicking noise when she does so I am pretty sure it’s some thing respiratory. She also appears to have developed spraddle legs which I have braced but she is fairly weak and doesn’t want to walk much. I have her in a separate brooder box with heat food and water, but I’m not sure what else I can do for her. I have a video of her breathing, but not sure how to attach. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do for her? She has Nutri drench in her water, but maybe there are other vitamins I could try?

thanks in advance for any replies - this will be the third one to pass if I can’t save her, which is a real downer.

it's a weak chick. Nutritional deficiency in the laying hens!
Nutri drench is the best thing you can give it imo but once the legs start becoming deformed it is very advanced which can easily cause respiratory problems you are seeing.

Feed it some egg yolk mixed with a bit of water too

I got some day olds that had aspergillosis. It started with clicking breathing then dead within a day or so. I was able to save one but it ended up being a failure to thrive by 4 weeks.

it's a weak chick. Nutritional deficiency in the laying hens!
Nutri drench is the best thing you can give it imo but once the legs start becoming deformed it is very advanced which can easily cause respiratory problems you are seeing.

Feed it some egg yolk mixed with a bit of water too
Ugh that’s what I was afraid of. We had one we culled from this batch that also had a damaged/injured leg...we culled her. The other was FTT. I’ll try the egg yolk. Thanks for replying!

I got some day olds that had aspergillosis. It started with clicking breathing then dead within a day or so. I was able to save one but it ended up being a failure to thrive by 4 weeks.
What a bummer 😖 this was going to be such a pretty chicken too! She’s a snowy EE.

What a bummer 😖 this was going to be such a pretty chicken too! She’s a snowy EE.
Do you know if the hatching eggs got exposed to moldy conditions that is what causes aspergillosis. I think it’s also called brooder pneumonia. There are videos showing the symptoms on YouTube.

Do you know if the hatching eggs got exposed to moldy conditions that is what causes aspergillosis. I think it’s also called brooder pneumonia. There are videos showing the symptoms on YouTube.
I’m not sure. We ordered them online from a hatchery so I’m sure it’s possible. I’ll look for those YouTube videos. Thanks for replying!

Back
Top Bottom