Chick coloring question: chipmunk stripes? *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barnyard betty, Apr 10, 2012.

1. barnyard betty

barnyard betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Howdy, howdy, I'm curious about our mixed chicks (parents are unknown) My question is what breeds have chipmunk markings as chicks?
    I have some "chipmunk" chicks that have feathered legs and some don't and I have both light : all yellow with grey stripes, and darker: more brown/reddish with light and dark stripes and a copper one with stripes.
    And can mixes also have chipmunk stripes or only pure breeds?

...Also...any info on what an all-over coppery /bronze (no stripes) chick will grow up like...(color or breed) All above mentioned chicks have orange legs, although one of the copper chicks does have 5 toes...any guesses on that one too?

Chick #1 copper stripe
    #2 light stripe
    #3 dark stripe
    #4 all copper
    #5 faint grey stripes under wings and grey spot on head

also any guesses on the 5-toed one? (all copper as well)
    Have at it!!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!![​IMG]

All and any opinions are welcomed!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    theres no telling what they will look like since they are mixed and you have no clue who the parents are. many breeds have that chipmonk strip, ee's, oegb, four mixed chicks here (yokohama/sumatra mixes).

3. barnyard betty

Apr 5, 2012
    thanks hdowden...I know it's really hard to guess given the circumstances...but it's fun to play the game lol
    anyone else please please add your thoughts and guesses! anyone else have striped mystery chicks?
    Thank you![​IMG]

4. achiever

achiever Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    My EE's look exactly like that plus we have 2 that are a solid dark brown.

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I've been confounded by a chipmunk chick of mine for about six weeks now. I bought it as a Welsummer, but it looks different than the confirmed Welsummers that I also bought. I did some research. A whole bunch of chickens start out with chipmunk coloration. A partial list includes Welsummers, EEs, Old English Games, Speckled Sussexes, Brown Leghorns, Phoenixes, Cornish, and a bunch of others I'm sure I left out.

6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dark Brahmas will have feathered legs and brownish chipmunk stripes--like the third bird down (not sure if that one has feathered legs or not).

7. barnyard betty

Apr 5, 2012
    hummm...the dark one (greyish brown to black) does have feathered legs...but the light one does not. So maybe he is a Dark Brahma? Not sure about the light striped one though...no feathered legs

8. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    Here are my chipmunks...
    1st chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Second chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Third chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All of their hatch mates. I have no clue if they are mixed(guessing they are) or not.
    [​IMG]

9. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    The first chick looks a lot like Chipmunk when she was a baby. She's a New Hampshire Red. You can check out her baby pictures in my signature. I'm not positive that's what yours are though because I'm no chicken expert yet. I'm still learning. :D

10. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    Lol I am too! We are focussing on sizzles and silkies right now lol so I haven't expanded my mind out to other breeds too much yet haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by