Chick completely zipped, but stuck

NovaAman

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 6, 2011
In Happy Chickenland, Holland MI
My Coop
My Coop
I have a white Japanese Bantams that has completely zipped, the small "cap" is completely off but the chick is still in the shell, looks very "juicy" and looks to be gasping. 14 others have hatched just fine. I am concerned with the chicks knocking it around so much, sending it spinning that it'll end up dead. I am leaving it alone for now, and hoping it is finished hatching in the morning. I figure with the dark, the chicks will not be so active. It has been this way for a few hours... Humidity is hovering around 70% for the whole of lockdown. Should I help it if it is still stuck in the morning and alive?

your humidity sounds about right. how long has it been trying to deshell? hopefully it's out my morning. good luck.

If the chick is still stuck in the morning help it out. Just make sure it's finished absorbing the yolk first but it should have by then. The "juicy" look may be excess egg fluid, which when it's dry can glue the chick inside the shell. If that is the case moisten it to soften it up and wipe the chick with cotton wool and warm water. If the chick is very weak, dip it's beak in sugar water. That should perk it up a bit. Good luck!

well, he made no progress over night at all. Still in the same position. He did not make it. I have pulled him out and finished de-shelling. Yolk fully absorbed, blood absorbed, only dry around the edge. It had one foot partly out, on the edge, but the other foot was still tucked. Don't know what was wrong. I was reading on the Japanese bantams, seems this isn't abnormal to get all they way to hatching then die. Something with the fatal gene of short leg long leg..

Back
Top Bottom