Chick crying while passing stool...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4hchknmama, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    I just got three Turken chicks from our feed store. One of my little pullets cries out quite loudly whenever she passes a stool. They are not hard or anything like that, it just seems to cause her pain. She is doing quite well otherwise, eats and drinks fine, is very active and does not seem to have any other issues. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is there something that I could be doing for her?

Thanks you for any advice!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    What is she eating? IS she eating and drinking well? Does her bottom look red or inflamed?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It would not hurt to offer these chicks a little yogurt mixed into their starter crumbles. It isn't normal for a chick to cry when voiding, and it may be as simple as getting the bacterial mixture in their guts normalized. Are they being fed the same feed as they got at the store? Does your starter crumble contain grit? Any sign of pasty butt, or vent abnormalities?

Anything else you can provide about them, pictures?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    I can get pictures up in a few minutes. I am feeding the same feed that they got at the feed store. There is no grit in the feed.

And yes, she is acting like normal chick (eating and drinking fine), very active, etc. This seems to be the only issue she seems to be having

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is your grit the special kind for chicks only? Very fine, like play sand...

or is it 'hen grit' that contains small stones?

I'll check back for your pics too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by