Chick Dander!

AccentOnHakes

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
I am one of those people who take the dust out of the bottom of the feeder and mix it with water for my chickens. The only problem is, that dust usually has a ton of chick dander in it. They are already living in the coop and free-range(kind of) in my yard in the day, but I put the feeder up by the perch because they will spilling it a lot and it's easier to clean up when it's on newspaper. Anyways, so the dust has a lot ot chick dander in it. I'm assuming it won't hurt them to eat their dead skin cells, but is there a better way to get rid of this problem? Blowing the feed didn't do much; the dander stayed and the dust got blown away.

I've gotten to where I just accept that my birds waste feed - especially as chicks. When I change out their bedding, I am willing to bet more than half of it is wasted feed. Anyway - re: your question - I can't imagine it would hurt them, but I certainly wouldn't use this as their only source of feed and withhold other food during the interim of them finishing up their "wet mash"....

Quote:

It's not their only feed; and they will take it anytime over dry feed. It's a treat to them.
smile.png

Did you say how old they are, or did I miss it?

If they are 9 weeks or so, I'd give pellets a try on the next bag. I have found them to be wondrous at sparing waste. Simply put, they are terrific, Frankly, they are worth a $1 more a 50 lb bag because of the saving of wasted feed, but normally, pellets aren't even priced any higher. YMMV. Now, some birds seem to adjust quickly to a feed change, while others take a day, but hold fast as they won't starve themselves. They'll adapt. Worth a try next time.

Likewise. I was getting mash from the local co-op at nearly half the price of pellets, but with the amount of waste, it's just not worth it. The silkies, cochins, and brahmas are getting switched over to pellets and the serama are on purina nutri-blend pigeon food... (thanks June!)
smile.png

Fred's Hens :

Did you say how old they are, or did I miss it?

If they are 9 weeks or so, I'd give pellets a try on the next bag. I have found them to be wondrous at sparing waste. Simply put, they are terrific, Frankly, they are worth a $1 more a 50 lb bag because of the saving of wasted feed, but normally, pellets aren't even priced any higher. YMMV. Now, some birds seem to adjust quickly to a feed change, while others take a day, but hold fast as they won't starve themselves. They'll adapt. Worth a try next time.​

Quote:

They are just over 10 weeks now, I think. I've had them from 10, they were at the feed store for maybe a week.

The only pellets I can get are layer pellets, and I don't want to give them too much calcium. Especially because one is a roo, but we are going to give him away later. (My mom somehow still thinks he's a hen, so I have a bet on him now. He crows, I win.
roll.png
) When they start laying, they'll be switched over to layer pellets.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom