chick deaths daily

digitalsniper

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
Trenton Florida
Hey all.
Just wanted to get some feedback on a problem.
Ive had chickens for 3 years, never any problems with chicks or adults, but a month ago i bought a total of 30 chicks from 2 different local breeders over a 1 week period. My sister picked up the last batch for me and included a T I N Y little black silky (that was too cute not to buy). This lil fella was the size of my labradors nose. lol. I didnt expect him to live, but he did. For almost 3 weeks, i had no deaths, and then all of a sudden i was losing a chick a day. Never saw any of them die, but now im down to about 14 chicks.
Today I cleaned out 3 chicks that had died since last night. There doesnt seem to be ANY symptoms. They just fall over... BUT... this after noon i went to the coop and found another on its side dead. I picked it up and it was still alive. But it was throwing its head over its back and weaving it back and forth (almost like an ostrich in mating lol). Its eyes were closed, and all it would do is wobble its head back and forth over its back.
Im guessing what killed the others is the same thing, i just never got to see it in actiion. I force fed and watered this chick and put it back in the coop and it stood up and looked around, but i expect it to bed dead tommorow. And i figured no sense in isolating it as whatever it is has the entire new flock infected.

HELP...

Thanks

Digitalsniper

What kind of feed are you feeding. It seems like they are choking. I use crumbles with no problems, if your using pellets they could be getting lodged in their throats or in their crops.

Back
Top Bottom