Chick Develops Swollen Tongue

The reason I asked about darkening of the tongue is that Mycotoxins have been known to cause that. Copper sulfate is commonly used at 1/4 tsp per gallon to treat fungal problems. You said the tongue was yellow, and I'm wondering if it could be advanced Canker. Is there any yellow plaque like substance in the mouth or near the back of the throat? If so, 250mg flagyl tabs (metronidazole) can be given 2x a day for 5-7 days for a 4+ lb bird, half that amount for a smaller bird. The capsules are also available in some pet stores under the brand name Fish-Zole.

Last edited:
Yes Youre Exactly Right ! My Chick has yellow towards the back of the throat.....right now i have her on Oxytetracyce Hydrochloride Solution Powder which is mixed with water.....thanks i will try what you told me
yesss.gif
and do you know anything about a chick getting "bubbly eyes" ?

This is similar to what my 4 week old chick has right now... There was something yellow at the back of her throat, I thought it was food that was caught, her tongue is swollen and dark red/purple only on one side, and she's having trouble eating and drinking- I know this was posted quite a long time ago, but I could really use help right now!

Back
Top Bottom