Chick died, now survinving one won't stop chirping loudly

Hello guys! I am new to chickens. I just got my first two about a month ago, and got two more chicks on Thursday. Yesterday, the one baby chick just up and died. Now, the surving chick is besides herself. I've tried everything. The two older chicks are outside now during the day. What finally got her to sleep last night, was a little stuffed animal and two of the air activated hand warmers, and a heating pad under her side of the brooder(which is a chewy box). But now, a new day, and her older sisters are now outside (we live in GA and it's low 80's), she's chirping loudly again. She has the same heat sources, I think she's just lonely. and wants to snuggle, cuz she'll stop when I hold her, but we've got two cats and I can't hold her all day. Plus, I feel like I will hurt her, or she will wiggle and be dropped. I tried taking her outside, but all she wanted to do was be next to me. I knew it wasn't warm enough, but I thought she missed her sisters, and it's really warm in the sun here. Even though they are separated in the box with hardware cloth, and the bigger chicks are actually afraid of her. I tried to find another chick yesterday, but no luck. I drove an hour only to find out I had to buy 4, my closet is not big enough for 4 more. I am going back to the place I got them tomorrow to see if they still have some from her batch, so I can get her a snuggle buddy, but if they don't I will have to wait for their next batch on Thursday. If I have to wait til Thursday, I was going to get two more. But what can I do for her til then? Is there anything else I can do to help her? It's just heartbreaking.
She may not be warm enough. Do you have the ability to purchase a poultry mat (33 watt)? I had a single chick some years back and put in a small clock wrapped in a thin towel and she seemed to settle down a bit (listening to the tic toc). If she's in a closet, does she have enough light? Being that chickens are so social, I agree she may be lonely. Hope you can find another chick or two. 🙏♥️

She may not be warm enough. Do you have the ability to purchase a poultry mat (33 watt)? I had a single chick some years back and put in a small clock wrapped in a thin towel and she seemed to settle down a bit (listening to the tic toc). If she's in a closet, does she have enough light? Being that chickens are so social, I agree she may be lonely. Hope you can find another chick or two. 🙏
She was warm enough, and it was just loneliness. she is better now, I got her two sisters today. Thank you.

Awww...so sweet. I was hoping the slightly older chicks would take her under their wings, but they just stare at her through the hardware cloth and then when I put her with them, they turn in the corner freeze as if they are saying: maybe she won't see us if we don't move) when that doesn't work and the little chick is going from one to to the other, trying to get their attention, they will literately climb over each other to get away from her. I just spent an hour on the couch with her while the cats were napping on the porch and locked out. She was quiet. then back in the box, she's so loud and climbing on top of anything she can to try and jump out of the box. I don't think she's cold, I think she's lonely. :(
you are right. she is lonely. best thing you can do is find her a buddy. the same thing happened when I lost one of my hens (I only had 2) even though they were 2-3 years old. they had grown up together. the only cure was to get a couple more ladies.
lay a piece of wire cloth over her box so she can't get out. get a couple of new little ones as soon as you can. until then, make sure she is eating and drinking.
it's sad to see, but no one ever died from a broken heart

you could always keep her inside with you, but that presents other problems......

Hello guys! I am new to chickens. I just got my first two about a month ago, and got two more chicks on Thursday. Yesterday, the one baby chick just up and died. Now, the surving chick is besides herself. I've tried everything. The two older chicks are outside now during the day. What finally got her to sleep last night, was a little stuffed animal and two of the air activated hand warmers, and a heating pad under her side of the brooder(which is a chewy box). But now, a new day, and her older sisters are now outside (we live in GA and it's low 80's), she's chirping loudly again. She has the same heat sources, I think she's just lonely. and wants to snuggle, cuz she'll stop when I hold her, but we've got two cats and I can't hold her all day. Plus, I feel like I will hurt her, or she will wiggle and be dropped. I tried taking her outside, but all she wanted to do was be next to me. I knew it wasn't warm enough, but I thought she missed her sisters, and it's really warm in the sun here. Even though they are separated in the box with hardware cloth, and the bigger chicks are actually afraid of her. I tried to find another chick yesterday, but no luck. I drove an hour only to find out I had to buy 4, my closet is not big enough for 4 more. I am going back to the place I got them tomorrow to see if they still have some from her batch, so I can get her a snuggle buddy, but if they don't I will have to wait for their next batch on Thursday. If I have to wait til Thursday, I was going to get two more. But what can I do for her til then? Is there anything else I can do to help her? It's just heartbreaking.
Install a mirror. Tie it up well so doesn't fall on the chick. Good reason to always purchase 3 chicks just incase you loose 1.

you are right. she is lonely. best thing you can do is find her a buddy. the same thing happened when I lost one of my hens (I only had 2) even though they were 2-3 years old. they had grown up together. the only cure was to get a couple more ladies.
lay a piece of wire cloth over her box so she can't get out. get a couple of new little ones as soon as you can. until then, make sure she is eating and drinking.
it's sad to see, but no one ever died from a broken heart

you could always keep her inside with you, but that presents other problems......

Thank you! She is all better now. I got two more little lady chicks. It's funny to watch I think she's already the role of lead hen over them, she's only a week older. But she'll let them eat first and stuff and it's adorable. the older chicks are not happy and still try to hide from them. They are only in the box at night now, just to get them used to the new babies through the hardware cloth. It's going to be bloody hot this weekend. The older ones are going to their new home today, if night time temps are willing to cooperate. But I know what you mean about the older chicks. the two older of mine do the same thing. When we are grabbing them to transport out, the one will cry for the other one until they are together again. It's cute and sad at the same time. I think we will have a happy flock once they can all be together. Oh..scroll up, I posted a picture of my two new babies. :)

Back
Top Bottom