1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick disease?? Help need input.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GwenReaper, Nov 8, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I orders some day old chicks online. I got them in the mail and one was dead in transit, which is to be expected. They guarunteed 25. So I was happy when I had 30 live chicks. I noticed 3 had crooked toes, which I gave them tape shoes like I have seen people on BYC do before. Then I went ahead and put them in my newly made brooder w heat from 2 lamps so they were nice and toasty.... and little by little they started dying off. I got 30 live chicks on Friday and now I only have 12. I am worried that they have some sort of disease. I looked at something called Mareks disease. I just dont know if its it though. When I got them alot of the keep both eyes closed alot. Its like they were not very alert. Then they would get weaker and weaker. I ended up putting some poly vi sol ( no iron) in there water so that maybe having some vitamins would make them stronger but no luck. They get weak, then they lay down on there sides and then just die. I feel so helpless. I am emailing the company that sold them to me. It was double R outlet... they order them from the hatchery and they get shipped to me. Should I start vaccinating them as soon as I get them. I have no problems with any of my other chickens but these havent even been in contact with any. They are totally separated. Can someone PLEASE tell me what to do??? I am very sad that they are dying and I am scared that they are all going to die if I dont do anything. I just think I have done everything that I can think of.

Thanks

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Are your chicks eating and drinking? (did you dip their beaks when you put them in the brooder)

How warm is your brooder - both the hotest/warmest and the coldest/coolest areas? The chicks should be able to move from the heat to a cooler area to cool down.

How does the poo look?

Sorry this is happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by