1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Doctor

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by teenchik, Nov 11, 2010.

1. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I am the chick doctor now. I found one baby chick thrown by it's mother, it had hatched wrong, was still attached to a bloody egg shell through the vent, after some freaking and much spazzing we cut most of it off and the rest fell off almost immediately. THat is when we discovered it couldn't walk, we treated it for spraddle leg and it lived in my bra for a while, I forced the chick to work on it's strength by making it stand and walk all by it's self in a one chick brooder. Tonight after about 35hrs of indoor care it was a happy, energetic loud chick named Aubery and has been returned to it's mother and accepted by her. Now a chick that we tried to help hatch with some major error caused a bloody hatch that made it lose some yolk and had part of it's intestines out of it's vent, we have got it's insides in but it lost a lot of fluid so we mixed a formula to bring it up to strength. It has pooped with out problems, but is too weak to do anything but peep, which it does loudly by the way, so I keep it in my "wing" which means it stays in my bra with a hot water bottle leaning on my chest. I will keep it up to date if this baby makes or not, I'm setting it up in in it's brooder for the night and will report in the morning.[​IMG]

2. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG].....that is really chicken love at it's best...[​IMG]...on the lighter side , i hope no one tries sending you their sick birds to care for ..ie ,turkeys ,geese , ostritch....[​IMG]

3. teenchik

Apr 17, 2010
    The new chick lived the night and is getting more active, I am still worried about it getting enough nutrients and able to pass feces easily. We have treated it for spraddle leg as we did the last one and are hoping it makes the same full recovery

On a brighter note here are the pics on my success story with Aubrey-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's back with her momma now and I cant tell her apart from the others anymore.

4. teenchik

Apr 17, 2010
    Baron has joined Aubrey in the nest, here are the before and after pics of Baron

After a misguided assisted hatch- [​IMG] After 36hrs of TLC- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by