Chick Down Doesn't Match Variety?

I have bantam Buckeyes and they have all manner of chick down from white to brown and striped, but I've never seen one with a spotted face like that. Also, they feather out with light-colored flights, not partridge ones. They only turn dark with the last juvenile molts. I think you might be right. Your guess is as good as mine. I would've expected a little more black but I guess not. I suppose another way to test it would be crossbreeding.

I'm looking back at this and am still a bit confused. Could Red Orpingtons not be based on the e^Wh/e^Wh locus and instead be based in e^b/e^b? Was this just melanizers? @ColtHandorf, have you seen anything like this in your English Orpingtons? @Amer, any idea of the genetics? Thanks!!
Hmmmm....My Reds aren't old enough to lay yet, but I can say when I hatched them and Buff chicks out together, I couldn't tell the difference between them. And when I asked the breeder, they said they never bothered telling who was who because they were just going to raise them up as breeders anyway.

I definitely had some young Reds with patterning on them, but nothing that detailed. I do find it interesting that she has a dark wash to the front of her shanks and the top of her toes. My Reds have pure white feet and legs. I get the odd feather stub from them, but no off-color.

Nic might be able to talk the genetic algebra to you, but I completely zone out when I try to learn it.

I have bantam Buckeyes and they have all manner of chick down from white to brown and striped, but I've never seen one with a spotted face like that. Also, they feather out with light-colored flights, not partridge ones. They only turn dark with the last juvenile molts. I think you might be right. Your guess is as good as mine. I would've expected a little more black but I guess not. I suppose another way to test it would be crossbreeding.
Thanks for the input!! I appreciate it :)

Hmmmm....My Reds aren't old enough to lay yet, but I can say when I hatched them and Buff chicks out together, I couldn't tell the difference between them. And when I asked the breeder, they said they never bothered telling who was who because they were just going to raise them up as breeders anyway.

I definitely had some young Reds with patterning on them, but nothing that detailed. I do find it interesting that she has a dark wash to the front of her shanks and the top of her toes. My Reds have pure white feet and legs. I get the odd feather stub from them, but no off-color.

Nic might be able to talk the genetic algebra to you, but I completely zone out when I try to learn it.
Interesting!! I know my breeder got their reds from Greenfire Farms. I wonder if different importers have reds of different genetic backgrounds. 🧐

I'm looking back at this and am still a bit confused. Could Red Orpingtons not be based on the e^Wh/e^Wh locus and instead be based in e^b/e^b? Was this just melanizers? @ColtHandorf, have you seen anything like this in your English Orpingtons? @Amer, any idea of the genetics? Thanks!!
@nicalandia, do you have any ideas about the bird from the start of this thread? :)

Back
Top Bottom