Chick down, legs seem paralyzed, not sure it is Marek’s

Tarcyw

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Hi! We got 7 chicks almost two weeks ago that are different breeds. Yesterday was day 11 and I looked in sometime during the day and one chick, an Easter Egger/Silkie was laying under the heater. Later that evening she was still there and I realized that something had been wrong and then I noticed her feet were out to her side. We quick checked her butt and she had pasty butt. She was lethargic and once we got her cleaned up, dried, and warm we noticed her legs were actually not really working. She pooped a huge stinky poop about 15 minutes after we cleaned her up. She was less lethargic after we held her to make sure she ate and drank. She let us hold her upside down without any fight and her legs just splayed to the side. Her toes were and still are curled and limp. We thought it was splayed leg/spraddle leg and we made a splint for her. Kept the splint on about 14 hours with little to no change so we took it off thinking that’s not it. She pushed out with her right leg a little tonight but she’s not moving her toes at all and can’t use her legs to sit up, she just falls forward. She is less lethargic now than she was when we found her last night.

info
She is an Easter Egger and half Silkie. About 1-2 weeks old, could be 3?
Food is Country companion chick starter and grower. I’ve added electrolytes and probiotics to their water now.
The six other birds are acting normal.
No signs of trauma that I can see but I’m new at this.
I’ve offered her food and water throughout the day. She's interested in eating and drinking and has done both but she’s had less than normal.
Poop is normal

I have a vet appointment with an avian vet in the morning but would rather treat her myself. I need to know if the other chicks are in danger and what I’m supposed to do for her and them.

What do you think it is and do I need to worry about my other chicks?

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_7400.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7402.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 62F21068-2E25-41C4-81E0-ED110085FC29.png
    62F21068-2E25-41C4-81E0-ED110085FC29.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 2FD625C4-2DE0-47D8-894D-8EC91A3BCA13.png
    2FD625C4-2DE0-47D8-894D-8EC91A3BCA13.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 24A77F64-839C-4E0F-BD13-0ED6F755DF22.png
    24A77F64-839C-4E0F-BD13-0ED6F755DF22.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can't help with what's going on but I was just looking for the heading pad too. I ended up just getting an old one from my sister but here is one that doesn't have the auto shut-off. The only thing I don't like is that is has one heat level but that can be worked around to an extent as well.
Good luck with your little one.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Medical-1...sr=8-13&swrs=AF5B754DFF2FAA8BDA238ACC35626D8C
I added it to my cart, thank you!!! I’m pretty sure we’re starting a new addiction as well. There is so much more to chickens than I thought and it’s so cool!

Last edited:
You would not be seeing Mareks in a 2 week old chick. A leg issue is probably the reason. Splayed legs, a slipped tendon, or leg bone deformity is possible. I would recommend using 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex tablets in food or water daily to treat the curled toes and help leg strength. Do not use B12, but b complex. I cannot see your pictures, and would like to, but here are some links to look at:
http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

1588334547943.jpeg

You would not be seeing Mareks in a 2 week old chick. A leg issue is probably the reason. Splayed legs, a slipped tendon, or leg bone deformity is possible. I would recommend using 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex tablets in food or water daily to treat the curled toes and help leg strength. Do not use B12, but b complex. I cannot see your pictures, and would like to, but here are some links to look at:
http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

View attachment 2117042

That is a relief to hear. They are in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote with pine shavings. I will be adding shelf liner underneath the pine shavings today and pick up b-complex tablets. Do you think I need to do the splint for splayed leg? We did that initially but didn’t notice a change in 14 hours of her wearing it, at that point we thought it was a different issue and took it off. Should I make one for her again?

Attachments

• F61900F2-1D23-4E34-AF7C-3E7C54B763B6.png
    F61900F2-1D23-4E34-AF7C-3E7C54B763B6.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • CC857FF9-748A-4776-B4AE-8632EF99323C.png
    CC857FF9-748A-4776-B4AE-8632EF99323C.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 1DEF7B6D-80C0-4700-87FE-A50187E93F82.png
    1DEF7B6D-80C0-4700-87FE-A50187E93F82.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Hi! We got 7 chicks almost two weeks ago that are different breeds. Yesterday was day 11 and I looked in sometime during the day and one chick, an Easter Egger/Silkie was laying under the heater. Later that evening she was still there and I realized that something had been wrong and then I noticed her feet were out to her side. We quick checked her butt and she had pasty butt. She was lethargic and once we got her cleaned up, dried, and warm we noticed her legs were actually not really working. She pooped a huge stinky poop about 15 minutes after we cleaned her up. She was less lethargic after we held her to make sure she ate and drank. She let us hold her upside down without any fight and her legs just splayed to the side. Her toes were and still are curled and limp. We thought it was splayed leg/spraddle leg and we made a splint for her. Kept the splint on about 14 hours with little to no change so we took it off thinking that’s not it. She pushed out with her right leg a little tonight but she’s not moving her toes at all and can’t use her legs to sit up, she just falls forward. She is less lethargic now than she was when we found her last night.

info
She is an Easter Egger and half Silkie. About 1-2 weeks old, could be 3?
Food is Country companion chick starter and grower. I’ve added electrolytes and probiotics to their water now.
The six other birds are acting normal.
No signs of trauma that I can see but I’m new at this.
I’ve offered her food and water throughout the day. She's interested in eating and drinking and has done both but she’s had less than normal.
Poop is normal

I have a vet appointment with an avian vet in the morning but would rather treat her myself. I need to know if the other chicks are in danger and what I’m supposed to do for her and them.

What do you think it is and do I need to worry about my other chicks?

Thank you so much!

Thanks everybody. It was splay leg but there was something more going on. We had to put her down because her hocks and feet were affected and she wasn’t able to use them at all.

Back
Top Bottom