Chick drinking a lot and having watery poop

dedicateddourly

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Fallbrook, CA
Hi All,

So I have 3 chicks who are 3 weeks old and I've had them since they were 2 days old. They all seemed active and healthy until just a few days ago. My EE seems to be drinking more than the others, and her poop has been watery with little chunks of her normal green in it. But she is very active and acting normally. It was hot this weekend, maybe 85 degrees and their brooder may have been a tad hotter, but they seemed fine. No panting or anything. But today was 70-75 degrees, so much cooler and she still is drinking more and having watery poop.

Another difference is that I've given them a bit of yogurt the past couple days. Could that be the cause? I can see it possibly giving her diarrhea, but I can't imagine it would make her drink more.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
dd

hmm.png
In hot weather they may have more watery poo's so that may be the cause, I think stress might cause it too.

watery poop with chunks of green is NOT normal for all the time poops.

Green watery poop sometimes means that they are starving.
It's also a sign of fowl Cholera and other diseases.

Quote:
I just thought of something else. All 3 chicks seem to eat the pine shavings in their brooder. Though they are also all eating starter. But if the EE is eating more shavings than starter, I guess that would starve her. I'm getting a little nervous. I don't want anything to happen to these little girls.

I've read that sand is another bedding I could use. What if they eat that too?

-dd

So here's my theory. Forgive me if it sounds completely wrong - I'm a total newbie. So the EE and the others have been eating pine shavings. If they're eating a large-ish amount, I assume they would need grit to break it down. Is it possible that the EE's crop is getting full of shavings, and maybe she's drinking a lot to try to wash it down?

Regardless, I just ran out to buy some play sand and it's in their brooder now. That potentially solves two issues. No more bad-to-eat bedding, and they get some grit. I know I probably should've waited, but I threw in a few crickets already. Fun! But I thought it would last longer. Those chicks are quick!

Off to work now. I hope they'll be ok while I'm gone.

-dd

Anyone out there?

Anyway, I'm back from work and the chicks are alive, phew. In fact, Yolanda, the watery-pooped EE just jumped onto the top of my laptop. She is still super active and super sweet. I did just witness her poop twice. The first was partly water and part green chunks. The 2nd was a caecal (sp?). I guess I'll just keep my eye on her.

-dd

Back
Top Bottom