1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick/Duckling Question from a Newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ratherbwarm, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ratherbwarm

Ratherbwarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Strafford, NH
    I have a duckling/chick question that I was hoping to get some advice on. Is it ok to put feathered chicks (4 are 8 weeks old and the other 8 are 4 weeks old and ducklings (2 weeks old) out into the coop yet? It's in the high 40's-50's during the day and 30's at night. They are in the barn in brooder a right now, but they would not have a heat lamp in the coop. I just don't want to put them out too early. Thanks for all the help for this newbie! :)

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey there!
    I have my 4ish week old pullets outside right now without a heat lamp... it was like, 50ish degrees today and below freezing last night.
    The pullets are all fine out with the big girls :)
    I also have 4 ducks that are about 5 weeks old, I currently keep them inside since my duck coop is not ready yet. but ducks are very hardy... they will probably be okay if they have each other to snuggle with [​IMG]
    and of course a nice, cozy shelter!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by