Chick Emergency!

Oct 26, 2020
My neighbor has 8 chicks hatching over the span of a week. The first hatcher (5 days ago) is smaller than others and very weak and light. Lethargic and little chirping. I need help getting it back on it's feet! Any advice welcome! No bad poops, injuries, or obvious diseases.

Fed chick raw egg and sugar water. Chirping more and lightly standing. She is slightly scooting/walking backwards now. Vitamin E? Wry neck? She is definitely warm, I have a broody.

I would see if I could get her drinking on her own and eating a wet mash of chick starter.
Yes, you are right - I would give her Vitamin E (400IU) and also 1/4 tablet B-Complex.
The walking backwards can be an indication of something neurological. Hopefully the vitamin therapy will help.

I would see if I could get her drinking on her own and eating a wet mash of chick starter.
Yes, you are right - I would give her Vitamin E (400IU) and also 1/4 tablet B-Complex.
The walking backwards can be an indication of something neurological. Hopefully the vitamin therapy will help.
She is drinking on her own now but mostly drinking raw egg yolk. She loves it. She has been drinking some water too. I thought the chick had splayed legs, but now she is standing? I will update.

She is drinking on her own now but mostly drinking raw egg yolk. She loves it. She has been drinking some water too. I thought the chick had splayed legs, but now she is standing? I will update.
Her broody hen is eating wet chick mash and the chick tries to peck it, but misses it.

Poultry Cell or NutriDrench is full of vitamins and electrolytes, minerals, and amino acids. You can give a couple of drops daily and make sure it is drinking well. Dip it’s beak into water if needed to get it drinking. Sprinkle a few chick crumbles around it’s feet to get it eating. Hopefully, vitamins will help.

Poultry Cell or NutriDrench is full of vitamins and electrolytes, minerals, and amino acids. You can give a couple of drops daily and make sure it is drinking well. Dip it’s beak into water if needed to get it drinking. Sprinkle a few chick crumbles around it’s feet to get it eating. Hopefully, vitamins will help.
Thanks, that is what I am hoping for.
I do not have Poultry Cell or NutriDrench, but I may go and purchase some.

Back
Top Bottom