Chick enrichment ideas?

I like to use a cereal or shoe box cut down and add chick starter, Alfalfa leaves, and a sprinkling of parakeet grit, it entertains them for hours!

DSCN2637.JPG

Thanks for your response! Will grass be ok for them at this age? We don’t have pesticides or anything in our grass but I just don’t want to expose them to anything harmful.
You're welcome! Exposing them to bacteria is actually the point. By making them eat the bacteria and other potentially harmful germs in the grass, they build their immunity up. If they do not have this option, then they have a higher risk of being sick when they get integrated outside. I take my chicks outside for the first time when they are only a few days old, and let them do what they want for about a minute, and then take them back inside. I do this every day if I can, and make them stay outside for longer periods of time. It helps a lot.

You're welcome! Exposing them to bacteria is actually the point. By making them eat the bacteria and other potentially harmful germs in the grass, they build their immunity up. If they do not have this option, then they have a higher risk of being sick when they get integrated outside. I take my chicks outside for the first time when they are only a few days old, and let them do what they want for about a minute, and then take them back inside. I do this every day if I can, and make them stay outside for longer periods of time. It helps a lot.
Same here, weather permitting. I tried to sneak a 4-day-old chick outside this afternoon as the sun was out, but a gust of wind hit us...so much for that. 50F is quite cold to me even, much less the little bugger curled up in my hoodie. But the sun was so warm, darn it! :)

I'd also recommend a clump of grass or weeds like dandelion, roots and soil and all, to give them something to tear up and to deliberately expose them to a low dose of outside bacteria and pathogens. Make sure they have access to grit, or if you have naturally rocky/sandy soil, they'll get it from eating it out of the soil in the clump.

Thanks for your response! Will grass be ok for them at this age? We don’t have pesticides or anything in our grass but I just don’t want to expose them to anything harmful.
as others have said, exposure to a clump of your garden soil, with the plants and microbiota growing in and on it will prime their immune systems for the challenges they'll face when they go out (things like coccidia, which are endemic and unavoidable). Pop it in the brooder and it'll also supply some fresh nutrients, grit (unless your soil's just clay) and satisfy their instincts to dig, scratch, and explore their environment. Like toddlers, they do a fair bit of this by taste.

Extra space is the best toy! We make little "runs" with portable dog panels, or you can use kid play pen stuff, whatever works... they LOVE to be able to run around in new open areas. They practice flying and have a ball. We always treat it as supervised time, or at least partly supervised like right out the back door while we're going in and out and in hearing range. Never forget how vulnerable they are. But they sure love some extra room!

I just bought a couple chicken toy sets from Amazon for when I move mine into a bigger brooder. Before, I had a mirror - they loved that. Also branches for them to roost on.

I was at the dollar store today and they has the cutest mini piñatas. I thought about buying one for when my chicks arrive, but then I remembered that I know how to make piñatas, so I think that's gonna be a two for one boredom buster (for the chickens and the kids) if I can get my kids in on making them with me. You could fill it with their regular food or (as they get older) other treats or hay.

Empty toilet paper tube also have a million and one uses

Back
Top Bottom