CHICK EYES WONT OPEN

RuralVirginia

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2012
We ordered 4 hens from a hatchery (1 Delaware, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Golden-Laced Wyandotte) and they just came at 9:30am this morning after being shipped 3 days ago. We have never had a problem with this hatchery before, but this time when I opened the box the Golden Laced Wyandotte chick was dead. The Speckled Sussex and Delaware are very healthy and have been eating and drinking and running around, they seem very alert. The Rhode Island Red on the other hand is just curled up in the corner and has not started eating or drinking even though I have been trying to tempt to with food and water. I noticed open closer inspection that both of its eyes are firmly shut. Nothing looks wrong, they looked fully developed, no goo or pus, it just can't of hasn't opened them. WHAT SHOULD I DO??!?!? I'd hate to lose another chick! Should I try to open the eyes physically, should I get an eye dropper and put water on the eyes, should I keep it from the other chicks and try and feed it, or should I just wait it out and see if they open on their own (hopefully they will, but it seems doubtful). I've already contacted the hatchery and they were very apologetic and told me to call back Friday and they would send replacement chicks for any that were dead or dying. Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

First, I wouldn't try to open the eyes at all. You could take a soft cloth wetted with a sterile saline solution and gently wipe them from the front corner to the side. I would keep dipping the beak into the water and see if you can get some interest that way. Another thing you could try...mix up some poultry vitamins and taking a finger, place drops on the sides of the beak. See if it will take anything this way. Don't force the feed right now, the vitamin water will help carry it through if you can get some of it into it.

Now as we both probably already know, sometimes no matter what we do, they just can't make it. Not your fault and it could really be a blessing. Sometimes chicks have things wrong we can't see and to have them live would be a hardship for them and you. I am not saying that is the case here, all I am saying is try and try again. If the worst thing happens, you have done everything you possibly could.

Thanks you so much. I'm going to let her rest under the heat lamp for a couple hours and then try the saline solution

I would make sure all of your remaining chicks got vitamins and electrolytes in their water right away because they have probably been really stressed in shipping. More may die over a few days, but I hope not and thar you can nurse the one back to health.

I agree with the vites but for one thing that I should have asked already. Were these chicks vaccinated for Cocci? If not then give it to them by all means. If they were, only do so as needed for a while. You want the vaccine to take affect before giving anything extra to mess with it. The sick one...oh yeah, no choice with them!

Yes they are all vaccinated, I think the problem was they were "misspent" in shipping. It was only for 1 day, but the other ones seem very healthy and I've never had a problem with this hatchery before. The little rhode island red just seems really weak. i don't think she's join to make it.
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom