Chick failing to thrive

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
I've hatched babies before but I know that with hatching and breeding always comes potential for a chick to be born with potential issues. This chick at hatch was the third baby. But I noticed that it laid flat like a pancake in my hand after drying while the others were standing, albeit shakily, but still standing.

I thought this one might have spraddle leg but it never displayed the inability to walk due to the splaying of its legs. Even now it's standing and is able to walk but it just doesn't seem to be doing well like its siblings.

It seems uninterested in food, even while all other five chicks are digging in. It stands by, kind of drooped over and just small. One leg isnt normal and seems half usable, almost as if the muscles aren't really good or like the nerves are bad. One leg felt REALLY cold earlier as well. The chick is able to get around pretty well but it just.. it seems so droopy. It almost falls asleep in place pretty much constantly and just wants to snuggle under the others.

I don't know what to do. I thought once it got some food in its system, along with some water, it'd perk up. But that just doesn't seem to be the case, especially with it being so uninterested in eating.

I'd give it a few drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench directly in the mouth, full strength, to see if that perks it up. But if it truly has something wrong with it internally, it may not recover no matter what you try.

Back
Top Bottom