Chick Feed in Brooder

dsymon

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
As soon as I fill my feeder in the brooder, the chicks make a mess of it in the shavings. Last time I cleaned the brooder out, there was more chick feed than shavings in there. New to raising chickens, so wondering if I can I stop filling their feeder until they eat some of the stuff up out of the shavings? Thanks!

Seems they all do that. I generally try to switch to a different feeder and not put out as much. I have a little plastic feeder with dividers so they can't spoon it out. They can clean up some, but you don't want them eating wet or dirty feed. If it's dry and fairly clean you can let them peck at it, but I would clean it out each day. Chicks can be very wasteful with feed.

Putting paper towels under the feeders helps to "collect" wasted feed and its still visible to the chicks, so they are likely to eat it.

Seems they all do that. I generally try to switch to a different feeder and not put out as much. I have a little plastic feeder with dividers so they can't spoon it out. They can clean up some, but you don't want them eating wet or dirty feed. If it's dry and fairly clean you can let them peck at it, but I would clean it out each day. Chicks can be very wasteful with feed.

What type of feeder are you using? How have you got it situated (raised, hung, setting on the brooder floor)?
I have one of those curcular plastic feeders with little dividers, raised on a couple 2x4 pieces. They still manage to get it all over the place somehow.

I made little platforms (2 x 4's & plywood) for my feed a water for the first couple weeks, then I hung them up , to keep it at the level of their backs.

20170224_080912.jpg

Back
Top Bottom