chick feed options

rugerr1

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
ALA
I'm going to get 3, 7 week old Americana chicks this week. I was looking to get the feed for them but all I can find is 50lb bags and that is a lot for 3 birds. So what are some other options I can feed them I'm going to give them some cracked corn but I want to know what else. Thanks

Cracked corn should only be given in moderation - adds fat but not much protein. Actually, your 3 chicks will be on chick starter for some time - they will go through that 50 lb bag faster than you think.

You should be giving your chicks some sort of Starter Grower until you see the first egg drop out. If you have a Tractor Supply near by, they sell bags smaller than 50 lbs but a 50 lb bag will most likely come real close to being all the starter grower you need before 3 chicks start laying.

I see you are in Al, I live just west of Atlanta and grew up in Al. My local feed store here sells feed from Tucker Mills in Guntersville Al, It gets gobbled up by my birds and I have a nice healthy flock, its good stuff. I have 48 birds age 12 to 16 weeks and right now they go through 100lb every 2 weeks plus a bunch of feed bread I get at the bread store and throw away fruit from the flea market. I have started giving them scratch feed also. They better start laying soon as the feed is getting expensive and I need some eggs to sell.

Cracked corn is not a good idea to feed them as their only feed. The need the medication in Starter Grower to get off to a good healthy start instead of being just a bunch of fat grouchy babies. Now if your going to be making a little moonshine that cracked corn is a great starter!
lau.gif

LoneOak

You can put your feed in the freezer in gallon ziplocks. Take out small amounts at a time so the condensation doesn't turn it moldy.

When they are grown up your 3 chicks will need about a 50 lb bag every 2 months and if you keep it cool/dry will last that length of time. However, when they are chicks they will eat it more slowly. Feed grower feed as redsox and LoneOak said until the point of lay, at which time it is OK to switch to layer feed.

You can feed cracked corn/scratch in tiny amounts to hand tame them if you wish but they need the high protein of the grower for proper growth and development.

Back
Top Bottom