1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick feed or layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LizGled628, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My ladies are about 22 weeks, and look (fingers crossed!) almost ready to lay. I'm getting down to the bottom of my 50lb bag, and I was wondering if I should get another bag of chick feed, or get the layer feed instead? I want to make sure that they are getting the proper nutrition!

They also free range a lot, and get lot's of vegetable treats from Mom, in case you needed to know [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    At 22 weeks you can probably go either way. I don't feed layer at all since I have a mixed age/species flock--I use gamebird feed with oyster shell out freechoice.

If you think your girls may hold off until spring to start laying you can stick with the grower, flockraiser, or gamebird feed and just offer oyster shell freechoice when they start laying.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Get the layer feed and start mixing it in with the starter, so as to have a smooth transition. Especially important if you are going to feed layer pellets instead of crumbles. Chickens are visual feeders, so it always needs to be done gradually, over a week or so.

I saw your hens in your other thread, they should be laying soon. Soon in chicken time, mind you, not human time! Keep your "rooster" out there sweet talking them! [​IMG]

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I would switch to layer just to be sure. I did & my first egg was nice and hard. I also went straight to pellets w/o any problem but u never know..chickens are creatures of habit.

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:I agree. I like the high protein of chick feed but you've got to give oyster shell to help with calcium requirements that are higher for laying purposes. Layer is good but not essential for any bird to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by