Chick feed question

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I currently have 2 pullets, who were vaccinated against Mark's, and who were raised on non-medicated feed. I just hatched a chick, and am confused about what I should give it. It is not vaccinated, so should I give medicated feed? Can it get Marek's from my older flock? If I didn't have my other girls, it would be easier to decide, but now I realize I didn't take into account flock status. Newbie mistake! :oops:

The vaccination for Mereks and medicated food are for two different things. Are these your only birds? Unless you have Mereks in the area I would not be to concerned about that as the other part of your flock is vaccinated. I am not sure what the process for vaccinating a home hatched chick would be. I can't remember the name of what the medicated food controls, but it is something that is in all flocks and controls the amounts (not a complete elimination) I have multiple species and medicated is not recommended for ducks, so I don't use medicated feed. I have personally not had any issues.

Medicated Chick feed contains Amprolium, which is a thiamine blocker for fighting against Coccidiosis. The amount inside the feed isn't enough to do anything to treat, or prevent infection.

It does nothing against Marek's Disease.

I can't remember completely, but old chick feed from the older days contained either cyanide, or arsenic for parasite prevention, which ducks are more sensitive to, & causes death.

Back
Top Bottom