Chick Feed Questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sk8inChick(en), Mar 23, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Okay, so I have a few questions about my new chicks and their feed.

First of all, I've read that you should start feeding your chicks grit when they are a few days old. Is this necessary, and when should they be started on it?

Secondly, my chicks are only a few days old, but I am curious as to when to start them on developer feed. I read in a book that you should give it to them at about 5-6 wks. of age. But, at the feed store I bought them from, they told me fed starter until they're 18 wks. and then switch to layer ration. That didn't sound right to me, but I would be interested in hearing what other people have to say about this.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    when i did mine i started giving them grit when i starting giving them treats around 2 wks. As for your other question i did what you said the feed store recommended and my birds where all fine.

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Hi, I do not give chicks grit. I don't give any of my flock grit, for that matter. Chicks should just get the starter ration until they're about 14-16 weeks old. I've never heard of "developer." Are you raising meat birds or layers?

Everyone has his or her own "secret recipe" for chicken success. I let me chickens take turns ranging the yard and I give my POL/Layer/Breeder age chickens all the weeds I pull from my garden, "Super Breeder" feed from Southern States, scratch grain, old bread, veggie scraps, and grubs and worms I uncover while working in the garden. Seems to work fine for me!

4. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    I don't add grit to their diet either. And I just followed the recommendations on the bag of feed. The brand my TSC carries has a "starter," "starter/grower" and "layer" option. Those may not be the exact categories, but that's the gist of it: brand new chicks, growing chicks, and post-'puberty' layers. [​IMG] Most feed, whether it's cat or dog food or livestock, has feeding recommendations on the bag. I'd start there.

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    My girls will be layers only. :) So, should I give them medicated starter until 14-18 wks, or should they get grower ration?

Also, at what age is a chick considered a "growing" chick?

Thanks for your help!

6. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    You only need to give grit if you are feeding them something other then pellets or crumbles. If thats all they eat, then are perfectly fine without grit.

How long depends on the type of chicken, brand of feed, when the tide comes in, how fast the wind is blowing etc. lol. Its not really that complicated, but theres a few variables to keep in mind. The best suggestion would be to look at your bag of feed, it will usually have a chart or something from the manufacturer that tells you what the guidelines for that particular brand are.

The reason your feed store may have suggested 18 weeks is because a lot of times you can buy what is called "starter/grower" which is generally touted as being sufficiant food for young birds until they are switched to layer feed without having to go from starter to grower to layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by